Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Is it possible to render a video in Unity without playing it with Recorder?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by unity_13655ADA027154E50D6A, Nov 15, 2022.

1. unity_13655ADA027154E50D6A

unity_13655ADA027154E50D6A

I am currently doing some experiments, and I would like to use Unity to generate videos for me. I have looked at Unity Recorder but it seems you'd have to play the game to record like for example if I want to record a 10 min footage I would have to record that 10 min gameplay. What I am looking for is something like what you get from after effects like setting up what shows up at a certain time or second then just render a 10 min video in like 1 min or something (I have an m1 macbook so rendering is very fast). Is this possible? is it possible to control such things with a terminal as well?

So far I've thought of only adjusting the time.scale then find a way so that the output is at normal speed. But I do not know if this is feasible.

Thank you!

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

I think you could, then use something like
    ffmpeg
    to change the playback speed??

Check first if the change in playback time causes a recompress of the video because that might cause more damage to the fidelity than you want.

Don't think doing this with equivalent audio would be feasible though...