Search Unity

1. Are you interested in providing feedback directly to Unity teams? Sign up to become a member of Unity Pulse, our new product feedback and research community.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it possible to rename objects that are animated

Discussion in 'Animation' started by CarpetHead, Nov 17, 2014.

1. danUnity

danUnity

The ability to change the path is nice but if I change a field name that is animated, I have to rebuild the animation on all the objects from scratch since I can't change the field name used.

ZenUnity likes this.
  2. marche4ever

marche4ever

Can we have a tool where we drag & drop an animation clip (or an array or clips) to mass replace existing property name with a new one?

guneyozsan likes this.
  3. cecarlsen

cecarlsen

I'm at 2021.1 now, and the animation property bindings are still ruined if you rename an animated object. This seems like such a basic feature; rebind an animation property to a new target. This thread is from 2014, and somehow this was never addressed :eek:

EDIT:
    Users have been implementing this feature on their own. But without hooking into the Animation window itself there are limits to how user friendly you can make it. The result is a workable but S***ty user experience.
    https://answers.unity.com/questions/38941/how-to-rebind-animated-variable.html

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
    Olmi, tonytopper and andersemil like this.
  4. tonytopper

tonytopper

I think we should all agree that this is a broken experience, categorically. If Unity Inc. wants the Unity share price to continue to go up, they have to fix this kind of stuff ASAP.

The 2D Animation package is in "Release Candidate" status; it is time to fix this. Is there a self-respecting product manager that would let this go to "Release" status when this issue exists?

5. KalOBrien

KalOBrien

Unity Technologies

Please dont add any unnecessary comments and stay on topic please.

Regarding this thread topic, I've relayed it back to the team folks :)

unityunity