Search Unity

Is it possible to make a text story game in Unity?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by thegamersite2012, Feb 27, 2020.

1. thegamersite2012

thegamersite2012

Hello guys! I been searching in different websites and looking for videos to see if it's possible to make a text based story in Unity. I read somewhere that it's not possible and that we must do it in C++ and other programs. I have found a couple of videos that have similarities but not exactly what I want.

So, the idea of the game I want to make should be simple I think. It's like a phone simulation that you can only text/chat. You receive messages and you send messages. When the NPC sends you a message you have multiple choices of answer you can choose from. I also want to make it for mobile. So, Is it possible to do that and how?

Here are a couple of games that do exactly what I want to do:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.glaznev.sentence

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...interactive.text.chat.story.rpg.cyoa.duskwood

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

It's possible, but it's just a bit difficult because that's not what Unity was designed for.

Those games you link above are not really text-based games... one pretends to be a chat application; the other I'm not sure what's going on.

Anyway, you could certainly do them in Unity if you work hard enough at it. (Or see Mini Micro, which is more designed for this sort of thing.)

thegamersite2012 likes this.
  3. Devastadus

Devastadus

4. unit_dev123

unit_dev123

hi maybe we can join together. I'm doing something similar see my signature.

sb0103 and thegamersite2012 like this.
  5. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

You'll want to get really familiar with how the Unity UI system works. Otherwise it doesn't sound all that difficult.

My assumption is the OP meant "text" like the mobile phone texting feature (SMS), rather than the text adventure games popular around 3 to 4 decades ago. Yes kind of confusing when there is this entire old school genre of text based games.

SparrowGS and JoeStrout like this.
  6. thegamersite2012

thegamersite2012

I saw this video, but there is no design. I just a simple sentence to sentence.

7. thegamersite2012

thegamersite2012

Hey!

8. thegamersite2012

thegamersite2012

Any way of doing a text/chat/messaging game here for beginners? Maybe in another program? I mean, just to make the simple part and then I'll have to learn to make it better by the end.

9. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

It is such an obscure genre, you're not going to find any kind of tutorial specifically for it, nor any ready made framework to drop in and go (I'd be extremely surprised otherwise, but your Googlefu might prove me wrong). You'll need to read up on how the UI system works and figure out how to implement what you're trying to do. I'm guessing you'll use the Scroll View feature, which I'm sure there are many tutorials on since they are a bit tricky. So you might start with that after you have the UI basics down.

10. sb0103

sb0103

I am new to unity but have been able to make a proper log box for one of my incremental card game was now thinking of working to develop a chat story like "7days".

11. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

You certainly could, but it's really not a very good fit for what Unity was designed to do.

You'll have to just take it step by step, setting up UI elements for whatever you want to do, and then filling in content (text) dynamically from code.

12. neoshaman

neoshaman

There is FREE asset on the store that do that

13. MFBlip

MFBlip

What´s it called?

14. MustyMuffin

MustyMuffin

Ever figure this out? I want to make the story in my game in an instant messaging layout

15. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

renpy is the specialized tool just for visual novels.

Learning the caveats of a more robust game engine like unity might be more heartache than is necessary. Depends on specifics though, @MustyMuffin

if you can be very detailed about your projects needs probably some of the people here who wrote some of unitys dialogue tools on the store could say whether or not it's the best tool for the job.

16. DynastyX

DynastyX

This is just your typical visual novel with a phone UI. You can easily do this in unity without any fancy tools, or frameworks, but something like Fungus or Dialogue System would definitely save you some time.

TonyLi likes this.