Search Unity

Is it possible to make a game with models originally designed for 3D printing?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mortian-, Mar 5, 2021.

1. mortian-

mortian-

Disclaimer: I have zero experience in developing games or anything deeper than beeing a PC user.

Hi,

I run a scale model company with mostly Sci-Fi tanks. I design these tanks with a CAD program and export the files for 3D printing.

I am also a huge fan of tank shooter games like Warthunder.

So I have some questions:
    Is it possible to use these files in a game? With some modification to reduce the polycount.
    Does it make sense to use these files or would it be faster and better to redo them?
    How much effort would it take to build a multiplayer tank shooter game around such models?
    Are there small developer studios that I can contact to help me with such a project?

2. neginfinity

neginfinity

It should be possible. Modern computers are powerful, and certain AAA games can render something in ballpark of 20 million triangles per frame, but that's a rough estimate, and you need to actually measure performance.

Doing nothing takes less time than doing something. So the best idea would be first to try to put the models as they are right now and then see if it works out or not. It all depends on level of details of your model. For example, if every bolt is polygonally modeled, then you'd need to optimize.

It depends on what exactly you want.
    Regarding now unity opened "job" forums so you could look there.

SparrowGS likes this.
  3. MDADigital

MDADigital

Google high poly to low poly baking its not a too advanced process the hard part is creating the low poly model though

SparrowGS and Joe-Censored like this.
  4. SparrowGS

SparrowGS

I think the bigger "problem" here is generating all the PBR textures for a game engine, you're probably gonna need a graphics guys anyway if you're after a full game - he should be able to take care of that and the polycount and general LODing.

You can either commission a studio to make a game to your specs and let them figure it all out or you can try learning some framework / kit that offers the functionality you're after.
    edit: or hire a studio to work with your team on that, obviously

MDADigital likes this.
  5. mortian-

mortian-

Thanks for the answers.

When I export a model for 3D printing it has roughly 23 million polygons. I can lower the export resolution down to 0,3 million polygons. This is just done by two sliders.
    When I remove all rivets and details of the tracks I can probably reduce it to 0,1 or 0,2 million.
    What is an acceptable poly count for an ingame model?

I also looked at the job offer section of the forum but these are mostly for persons. Not for studios.
    Where can I find a studio that is capable of handling such a project?

6. MDADigital

MDADigital

Here is an example of a game ready AAA tank

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/xXbaR

70k tris

7. mortian-

mortian-

Oha :( So I am still factor 10 to 20 to high. But I think this is somehow possible.

8. MDADigital

MDADigital

You need a skilled artist to produce the PBR material anyway as @SparrowsNest pointed out. Lurk around Artstation and you can find really talented people. I have gotten a great group of freelancers over the years, I mainly hire from India etc since we are on a budget

SparrowGS likes this.