Search Unity

Is it possible to load alembic file without import it to unity project ?

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by gnoviawan, Dec 10, 2019.

1. gnoviawan

gnoviawan

Hello, i'm new to unity, currently i'm working in Animation Industry and try to integrate unity as render engine for our upcoming project, but currently we struggle to load alembic file in our server without import it to unity, in Maya we can references the alembic data to the Maya file, it will save a lot harddrive space, also if there any update in animation we can reload the alembic file too.

i can do a C# a little bit, and currently try to build a tools to automate the process for scene setup, lighting and so on, but currently we stuck to read alembic in our server without import it to unity project.
    and when i read alembic documentation there is still no open api for alembic.

is there any workaround for us to read the alembic data outside unity project ?

*sorry for my english and thank you!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  2. vladala

vladala

Unity Technologies

Hey,

Thanks for the interest in Alembic. The version 2.0 of the package should allow you to do that. It is in the last stages of being released.

3. headlessstudio

headlessstudio

Hi, is there an update on this? I've updated to 2+ but cant seem to find a way to do this. Either this or addressables, but that doesn't seem to be working either.

4. vladala

vladala

Unity Technologies

Hey,
    Unfortunately it was pulled at the last moment from 2.0 since it was not not complete.
    Still working hard on it :).
    I am unable to give you an exact release date unfortunately.

5. headlessstudio

headlessstudio

I managed to solve it using your latest preview package, rewrote some things to allow changing the path without rebuilding the materials, exposed the loadfile method to public and then wrote a simple script that has a path parameter and calls the streamplayer loadfile to change the streamdescriptor path.

So I guess... thanks anyway!

danielgsantana likes this.
  6. _slash_

_slash_

Great news. Is this also planned for the USD package? Can we test a beta of this?
    Thanks