Search Unity

Bug Is it possible to launch Unity after uninstalling the Hub?

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by TheDimebog, Jun 17, 2021.

1. TheDimebog

TheDimebog

I have this problem where the Hub won't load any existing projects including the freshly made templates, possibly because I don't have a wifi adapter or god knows why. I only know it is a known issue and the workaround is, well, not using the hub and launching scenes from explorer or another file manager. This workaround worked fine at first, but after restarting the PC (probably could do with restarting the modem) this workaround no longer worked - trying to open a scene from explorer just launches the hub, which causes the splash screen to linger for a few seconds before giving up, just the same.

I tried refreshing the licence and disabling firewalls.

Now I have no options but to figure out how to completely remove Unity Hub and then try running Unity without it. Is this even possible? Will removing the Hub mess something up where to the point where I need to reinstall everything?

The version I am using is 2019 LTS. But this issue with launching from the hub was the same with versions 2020 LTS and the most recent 2021 release, but those had the issue of not having entitlements to load any packages including default ones so I had to roll back to 2019 LTS which my friend and I were hoping to continue using to learn to develop in Unity, if this isn't too great of a hurdle.

On a related note, it's sad that Unity also forces the use of auxiliary software which is a truly disturbing trend of almost every big app developer nowdays. If you have to have it, then why is it even a separate thing? Isn't it worse when you split a thing into two things and then both things have multiple versions that have to be cross-compatible? And does it have to be so finicky to even care about the hardware I use to connect to the internet before I can even open the Editor? Why can't I just open it, if It opens just fine when creating a new project. Unfortunately it's also impossible to open existing projects through Unity itself, once it is open.

So the question again is - can I safely remove the Hub and then find a way to launch the Editor after that? I have no desire to use any of the Hub features or update Unity version in the foreseeable future seeing as how anything at any point could so easily break everything which has unfortunately been my experience so far and I have been using Unity since before the hub was even a thing.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  2. TheDimebog

TheDimebog

Okay after uninstalling the hub, Unity refuses to work. So, where are the links for older hub versions?

3. TheDimebog

TheDimebog

Someone from the customer support chat told me to try uninstalling the Hub and then installing Unity from an archive, which still doesn't let me just launch it but I can open scenes from the explorer. The support person told me I can manage the licence from the Help menu, but this prompts me to install the Hub, so how can I manage my licence without the Hub? I should already have the licence file on my hard drive having already authenticated it multiple times before.