Search Unity

Is it possible to Interpolate between Alembic Streams?

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by AndrewKaninchen, Nov 5, 2019.

1. AndrewKaninchen

AndrewKaninchen

Is there an easy way to interpolate different simulations on the same base mesh, exported as different alembics?

What I want to achieve is to blend between some cloth simulations done offline for a character's cape and sync them up with the character's animations as they are controlled by an animator.

2. vladala

vladala

Unity Technologies

Hey,

Thanks for your message.
    This is not supported by the current plugin. It would be rather hard to implement in a general case.
    You might attempt to do it yourself as a script. Lerp every single vertex, normal, vertexcolor for every mesh. This might prove to be quite slow unfortunately.

3. AndrewKaninchen

AndrewKaninchen

Thanks for the response! I figured I could write something like that myself, and in the scale I plan to use it it probably won't be prohibitive in performance (it's a single character and it has a rather low polygon count). So I might actually try it, if we aren't satisfied with a bone-rigged approach. But I suspect it will be ok either way, just wanted to make sure i was an option.

Anyway, thanks again!