Search Unity

Is It Possible To Increase The Font Size In The Editor?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Slateboard, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Slateboard

Slateboard

The text in the hierarchy menu, specifically. Adjusting the size of the tab didn't affect it and the text looking as blurry as it does to me is making it a hassle to deal with currently.

kevinAK likes this.
  2. Dreamback

Dreamback

Not within Unity. Best you can do is (assuming a Windows machine) go to Display Settings and change the Scale percentage, to scale all the text in all windows larger.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  3. Afflospark

Afflospark

In unity, unfortunately, you can't increase the font size but as Dreamback told, you are always free to increase the size of text on display.
    In Windows 10 to increase the Display size and ratio follow these steps-
    1. First Select the Start button, Settings > Ease of Access > Display.
    2. To make text bigger screen larger, adjust the slider under Make text bigger.
    if you are using windows 8, you can follow this article to personalize appearance in windows 8

thanks.

4. tagaut

tagaut

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry, didn't mean to shout, but this suggestion worked beautifully :)

5. Blikoor

Blikoor

So, just because Unity, in their infinite wisdom decided to use micro-fonts, I have to make all text on my display larger? WTF, Unity?

6. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

The text size is fine for most people. Do you happen to have a particularly small but high res monitor (like 4k)?

isobel0911 likes this.
  7. unarmed1618

unarmed1618

Nah Joe, but I have low vision and I need scalable fonts in order to see.
    Accessibility increases market share. That's why things like visual studio and intellij let you do it.

8. lalamax3d

lalamax3d

IMHO, in 2021, we should have an option. (on linux) 4K monitor (42 inch) feeling sad

9. On Windows we have the Edit / Preferences / UI Scale settings.
    On non-windows it's more tricky, I'm guessing because of lack of OS support? I'm not sure, I'm not big in OSX and even less on desktop linux abominations. In this thread you can find some tricks you can try if you're feeling adventurous.

10. jmvazq

jmvazq

I'm not on Windows, unfortunately, and the font is too tiny. There is an option in the General preferences on the Mac OS version of Unity, which lets you change the font to the system's default. Why can't they have a couple more presets to accommodate us developers with vision impairment, dyslexia, and other disabilities?

It shouldn't be this hard to accommodate people with disabilities in 2021. And it definitely shouldn't be an afterthought.

11. blockimperium

blockimperium

Just upgraded to a new display and hit this issue as well. I can scale VSCode in seconds, but there is no way to do anything with Unity except move closer to the screen.

mimiCryMuffin likes this.
  12. Ofmendez

Ofmendez

2021 and custom font size for (non-windows) screens 4k.... mega skipped.

mimiCryMuffin likes this.
  13. whatupjames

whatupjames

I don't think we can do that in unity.

14. dblaauw

dblaauw

On Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, 4k screen, Unity is basically unusable like this

15. lokaimoma

lokaimoma

There is a UI scalling option in preference, you can adjust that instead of making changes to your os directly. It only affects Unity not other apps.

16. bilqinm

bilqinm

this worked for me thnx

17. timmilstead

timmilstead

Can't find the UI scaling option in Linux. 4k monitor UI pretty much unusable.

18. elanieluis1991

elanieluis1991

Not inside of Unity. The best thing you can do to make all the text in all windows larger is to (if you are using a Windows computer) go to Display Settings and change the Scale percentage.

19. chopin1998

chopin1998

2022 mid, still no good solution for linux on hidpi....................

dan_ginovker and mimiCryMuffin like this.
  20. a_ini

a_ini

I would also like to see support for higher res (or specifically allowing to adjust the font size in editor plz!)

mimiCryMuffin and AndBje like this.
  21. Qubeoid

Qubeoid

Font size in the editor is a must with all the high resolutions available now. I have a 27" monitor at 2460x1440 and the Unity font is tiny and would definitely benefit from being able to up the scale a little.

I can't go down a resolution as everything looks blurry and changing the system wide text side is not an option as everything else if fine.

Unity people, pleeeeaasssee allow some form of GUI font sizing :)

22. NatCou

NatCou

Oh gosh my eyes - trying to read assets in micro wft size font.... Please unity share font scaling love :)

mimiCryMuffin and AndBje like this.
  23. bigdaddio

bigdaddio

Anyone else ends up here, go to preferences and select UI Scaling, works great.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
  24. LordDooms

LordDooms

Ease of Access Display font only does the top menu. Ease of Access Display "Make Everything Bigger" works but as bigdaddio said this just sets what is in preferences select UI Scaling.

unity_00yotz likes this.
  25. bn-l

bn-l

SOLVED (on windows)

This must be a new setting as all the other answers are wrong. Thanks a lot.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
    unity_00yotz likes this.
  26. chopin1998

chopin1998

No this option on Linux version

dan_ginovker, mimiCryMuffin and bn-l like this.
  27. PineappleHaus

PineappleHaus

So, for the rest of us using MacOS or Linux (Linux here) there is still no UI Scale option. I just went through all the trouble of downloading and setting up Unity, with the interest of learning how to use it so I can teach others, and I can't, because, based on numerous posts like these, it's apparently been FIVE YEARS with no fix.

Unity claims that 70%+ of mobile games are developed using their platform, and they can't find the money to pay a single developer to implement UI scaling after five years? Honestly if they can't even get the UI right, I don't even want to know what kind of headaches I'll run into further down the road if I invest my time into it.

I'm going to go use Godot, and spend a significant amount of time convincing others to as well.

28. petit_morceau_de_ciel

petit_morceau_de_ciel

Yes.
    UI Scaling should be implemented also in linux. The fonts are tiny with high resolutions.
    But...

dan_ginovker and mimiCryMuffin like this.
  29. myjrrha

myjrrha

You can change the Unity's Editor UI Scaling independent of Windows (or ths OS u use...)Scale:
    1. Go to Edit/Preferences/UI Scaling.
    2.On UI Scaling options disable or uncheck the option "Use default desktop setting", this enable the dropdown list option called "Use custom scaling value".
    3. Finally, select the percentage scale from the options in the dropdown you want to set for you Unity UI.
    4. Enjoy bigger Unity UI...
    upload_2022-10-28_9-51-19.png

paladim and ZedNaught like this.
  30. waldgeist

waldgeist

Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
    ramand and dan_ginovker like this.
  31. najaa3d

najaa3d

UNITY ! Thanks for finally including this option! LONG LIVE UNITY3D!

BUT - please don't limit us to course options like 125%, 150%, ... We're trying to achieve "adequate visibility" while still maximizing the amount of text we see. In my case, I only needed 112% size, but am forced to 125%, thus showing less text on the screen than is necessary.

Since Scaling is 2D - screen spaced used for 25% size increase, uses 56% more screen space! (1.25-squared). So with just 25% increase, I can only see 64% of the text I would have seen at normal text size! This is a DRAMATIC difference for the First/Lowest setting of 25%.

If you allowed us to set it to +12% sized, we'd be seeing 80% of what we normally would see... or 25% MORE than we can see with the +25% setting. (80% = 64% x 1.25) Losing 25% of our readable text for no good reason, is significant.

Windows provides a slider; so should Unity (or an integer text box entry). There seems to be no good reason to limit user to these rather course adjustments! If you need to keep the drop-down selection, please add a LOT more options at the low range, such as: 100, 105, 110, 115, 120, 125, 130, 135, 140, 150, 160, 175, 200.... As this low range covers 99% of the usages, so more options are needed.

We love UNITY.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2023
    VenetianFox and AmalexiM like this.
  32. jpileborg

jpileborg

I don't have that option in 2022.2.16f1, Linux editor.

I recently updated to Ubuntu 23.04 (like a couple of hours ago), and while not supported yada yada the option should still be there, no?

Is there some other way to change the font size, because right now it's just too small and blurry.

And it looked fine before the Ubuntu update, when I was using the equally unsuported 22.10 release of Ubuntu.

Appologies!
    It turns out the nvidia native driver was disabled during update. Once reinstalled and reconfigured it all works fine.

By that I mean that the font looks nice and normal again. I still don't have the "UI Scaling" preference option.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2023
  33. attishno1

attishno1

There is a small hack that I use to basically scale Unity. I will post a video about it soon.

Only4gamers likes this.
  34. a_ini

a_ini

I CAN SEE! Thank you Unity devs... This is awesome!

35. anushy1

anushy1

infinite wisdom decided to use micro-fonts, I have to make all text on my display larger

36. ayastudios

ayastudios

I am using a mac. S*** what a torture for my eyes :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

37. Pnvanol

Pnvanol

still no solution to this in 2023 for Linux...

falckonv likes this.
  38. Unifikation

Unifikation

No Macs. Where's it sorely needed, in both directions. Smaller and Larger, depending on currently scaled screen settings.

39. waldgeist

waldgeist

It's really hard to use for those of us who have bad eyes. I cannot understand that Unity takes ages to find a solution.

falckonv likes this.
  40. falckonv

falckonv

You do not need to have problems with your vision struggling to read the selected tiny bitty default font size—still no UI scaling options for Linux.

waldgeist and Unifikation like this.
  41. Only4gamers

Only4gamers

UI scaling for Mac please.

LeandroGP9 and Unifikation like this.
  42. nice2000

nice2000

I have tested many bold and large fonts that can solve this problem a bit, but only some fonts could be runed by unity

For change editor font You should open the Unity Installed folder and open: Data \ Resources folder
    In the Resources folder open the " fontsettings.txt "
    in the line 1 ,Replace appropriate font for unity editor

image_1152.png

I compared the appropriate fonts:
    inter (default unity font) (I put this for comparison)
    default.png

Franklin Gothic Bold
    Franklin Gothic Bold.png

Helvetica Neue
    Helvetica Neue.png

Slicker
    Slicker.png

Last edited: Aug 24, 2023
    ramand likes this.
  43. nice2000

nice2000

Comic Sans MS
    Comic Sans MS.png

Comic Sans MS Bold
    Comic Sans MS Bold.png

Unispace Bold
    Unispace Bold.png

Ebrima Bold
    Ebrima Bold.png

some good fonts not runed by unity!!! like Ubuntu Bold, Toxigenesis Bold, If you can use them, Please share that font

All fonts are attached

Windows
    Unity 2022.1.13.f1

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2023
    ramand likes this.
  44. ShantiB95

ShantiB95

I can safely say that Unity has played a major role in degrading my already bad eyesight over the past 2 years after I shifted to Mac

waldgeist, Only4gamers and ASDF_Games like this.
  45. waldgeist

waldgeist

Yeah, this is becoming really ridiculous.

46. SurreyMuso

SurreyMuso

Just upgraded my ultrawide for twin 4k monitors because of burning need in music engraving software (Dorico) and find Unity unusable. I'm a Mac user with failing eyesight. I'm not feeling the love, Unity, and I don't think I'm the only one...

Only4gamers likes this.
  47. roterl

roterl

This thread is almost 5 years old and still impossible to read in Linux and Mac.
    I found some solution here by running the hub from console:
    GDK_SCALE=2 GDK_DPI_SCALE=0.5 /<PATH_TO_>/Unity/Hub/editor/<VERSION>/Editor/Unity

But this works only by double the size, so either you need microscope to read it or your neighbor can read it from the other size of the street.

48. waldgeist

waldgeist

Seems to work on Linux only.

jaslynx likes this.
  49. DanielBorc

DanielBorc

Hello, everyone!
    I had this issue but managed to find a workaround for those using Unity version 2022.3.20f1 on Mac (not sure for the other versions).

Here's how to solve it:
    1. Download the necessary script from the following GitHub repository: GitHub Repository Link
    2. In your Unity project, create an "Editor" folder within the "Assets" directory and place the downloaded script there.
    3. If desired, you have the option to adjust the DEFAULT_GLOBAL_FONT_SIZE in the script or change RESIZE_ON_LAUNCH to false. This modification will activate the "Editor Font Size" window (accessible via Window > Editor Font Size) to edit the font size dynamically.
    4. After making these changes, simply restart the Unity editor to apply the new settings successfully.
    Hope this helps anyone facing the same problem!

50. epnadrianeguez

epnadrianeguez

You can do that here:

Go to Edit > Preferences > UI Scaling

Unchek "Use default desktop setting" and choose you favorite scale.

Cheers

Attached Files: