Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it possible to import swf into Unity?

Discussion in 'Flash' started by Tezelian, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Tezelian

Tezelian

Is it possible to import swf into Unity?

I want to create an interface for a game on Flash and bring it into Unity, is this possible?

I want to create a game where the user follows different sets of animation (based on what you choose) through 1st person view and at certain points of the animation the user has to react, interact and choose 1/3 options by clicking a button. I want to do this on Flash because Flash lets you create buttons but later would like to program and add some code on Unity to actually allow the user to control and fly the plane, but this will be near the end. I want to create a game where the user is playing as a pilot who suddenly gets attacked....

If it's not possible to import swf into Unity then would it be possible to create buttons or a main menu and other interface elements on Unity the same way I would make them on Flash. So the idea would be that I bring animation from Autodesk Maya and stop it at certain points to introduce buttons which the user has to click that would then unlock the appropriate animation sequence from Maya.

Any suggestions on how to implement this idea would be helpful

Thanks

2. DDowell

DDowell

If you want to go the Flash route I suggest you build the UI as the main SWF and then load Unity into it (rather than the other way around). That way you can have Unity send messages to your GUI SWF to trigger buttons etc and then sendMessage-calls back to the Unity SWF to trigger animations.

If you go "pure" Unity, look into NGUI (which will be very much like the upcoming GUI system for Unity) or 2d toolkit.

3. Tezelian

Tezelian

Thank you DDowell for your helpful advise, really appreciate it

Wow I never knew you could incorporate Unity into Flash

So for example could I create a game on Unity and then run that game after clicking a button on Flash?

I basically want to create a game where the player follows a story or animation in first person as a pilot who at specific intervals has to react and interact with buttons and make choices that effect the next animation but I'm not sure on how to implement this, whether to use flash or Unity for the buttons.

Could I import pre-rendered animation into Unity created in Maya and converted into avi and then stop the animation in a timeline to add buttons which the user would then choose an option so the next animation could play and towards the end make the user actually control the aircraft - This is basically what I want to do, to make an interactive animation cut-scene game that allows you to make choices at specific points and right near the end actually fly the plane....

4. DDowell

DDowell

Well, if you have the Flash exporter from Unity you can do they things I stated. If you don't, then you have to go the movie route (loading Flash FLV files or something). Note that you can no longer buy the Flash exporter so...

5. Kos-Dvornik

Kos-Dvornik

6. AlphaGTR

AlphaGTR

7. Loh

Loh

Hey for your needs on 2D animation, you can use TVPaint Animation. That's a really good program that basically use the same layers system than Photoshop with a complete solution for animation, and for travelling, zoom, etc,...

8. denisbalon

denisbalon

shekhar331 and V1nsaN like this.