Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it possible to ignore Post-processing on some objects?

Discussion in 'Image Effects' started by Lauris48, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Lauris48

Lauris48

Hi, vague title but interesting and probably common issue.
    I use color correction (Unity's Post-processing) , but on some objects I do not need it - it completely ruins the goal of the color.

For example if I want to highlight some object in true red color, post processing will make it orange.

What is the video game industry standard in solving such issues?

2. RR7

RR7

I didn't want the TAA effect on some objects, so I create a duplicate camera with not effects applied and used the culling mask to remove the objects from the main camera and only display them on the 'clean' one. would something like that work for you?

unity_zL4mJaTePZ9bOg likes this.
  3. Lauris48

Lauris48

Not sure, how should I use this method, I have no experience in this.

Does it hurt the performance to run two cameras at the same time?

Thank you.

4. RR7

RR7

i'm no expert myself! so on the camera setting in the inspector, there is a culling mask drop-down, where you can choose which layers the camera 'can see' and which layers don't appear. so if you made a layer for 'standard color' objects, put the gameobjects on that layer that you don't want to bed changed by the filter.

copy the main camera and paste it into the same scene, so it will be in the same position and angle etc.
    then remove the 'standard color' you created from the culling mask on the main cam, and on the duplicate one leave that layer on but remove everything else.

delete the post processing from the duplicate camera.

that should do what you want.

as for performance, probably, if it affects it too much you'll need some other better method, like I said, i'm no expert.

5. LIVENDA_LABS

LIVENDA_LABS

This will not work, no occlusion from other objects

6. RR7

RR7

sorry for the bad advice. I only use the method on text and video in the scene in my project, which is not occluded anyway so I would not have noticed that!

7. saporter

saporter

This worked for me! Thank you

8. WishingWell13

WishingWell13

Does this also work for the lightweight render pipeline? I saw a similar method used in some tutorial videos, but they always required you to check off "Clear Flags -> Don't Clear". It is done in this tutorial at 3:30
    . I cannot find this setting on my screen.

9. astracat111

astracat111

It doesn't work because for me it culls shadows. Gotta do it inside the shader somehow!