Search Unity

Resolved Is it possible to hook and save AR ‘dungeons’ onto the buildings in my local area?

Discussion in 'AR' started by ThroughTheClouds, Nov 15, 2020.

1. ThroughTheClouds

ThroughTheClouds

Firstly, I’m new to this!

Suppose I wanted to project AR fantasy buildings onto specific buildings on my local high street, and then move a 3rd person player around them and up them and inside them like Spider-Man, is this possible? How sophisticated could the result be, or is the technology still too young to get gaming experiences like this? And would it be possible to save the building locations to the game’s memory so that it remembers which buildings to latch onto?

Any info is much appreciated!

2. KyryloKuzyk

KyryloKuzyk

ARCore Cloud Anchors serve exactly this purpose.
    ARKit has a similar feature, ARKit World Map, but it may be not suitable for tracking large environments.
    Both ARCore Cloud Anchors and ARKit World Map are supported by AR Foundation.

There is a new feature in ARKit called ARGeoAnchor, but it's not currently supported by AR Foundation.

Blarp likes this.
  3. ThroughTheClouds

ThroughTheClouds

Amazing! Will look into this, it’s exactly what I’m looking for. So glad I asked

4. Blarp

Blarp

5. KyryloKuzyk

KyryloKuzyk

UPDATE:
    ARKit Geo Anchors are already supported by AR Foundation, here is an example. But they are not designed for scanning environments. Geo Anchor is simply an AR anchor that is tied to a GPS coordinate.

Blarp and Alexis-Dev like this.
  6. ShakingEarthDigital

ShakingEarthDigital

Curious how this turned out? Looking to do something similar soon (anchor AR to specific buildings).