Search Unity

Is it possible to have multiple alembic caches driving one base mesh?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mpbolton, Mar 1, 2018.

1. mpbolton

mpbolton

Hi,
    I've been looking at the adam demo's and screenshots of there timeline workflow, and it looks like they have multiple alembic caches that are driving one mesh. So it would be setup similar to an fbx workflow, in that you bring in your base asset and then layout all your animations one after another in timeline.

But.. I can't figure out how to do this, I can only get it to play the clip it was imported with. Has anyone managed to do this and able to help me out?

Thanks,
    Maurice

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Specifically which mesh are you talking about?
    Researching point cache might assist your efforts. There are also several adam demo Unity blog posts which go into a lot of detail, though I do not remember them discussing any alembic/point cache animations.

Here are a couple related links that might help.
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/ScriptedImporters.html
    https://github.com/unity3d-jp/AlembicImporter

3. mpbolton

mpbolton

Thanks for info. Sorry for not fully explaining, I have been playing with the alembic importer and it would nice. But i noticed in the screen shots of the adam blogs, that they show single alembic timeline channels with multiple animations, one for each shot by the looks of it.
    Currently I've got it working in that i can bring in the alembic asset with animation and play that, but if i wanted to point that asset to a different alembic file ( or point cache? ) and play a different animation with the same asset, how do i do that?
    The scenario being, I bring in an asset setup the shaders and get it looking great in unity, and then i want to bring in an animation clip for 5 different shots and apply them all to that base character. Otherwise i would have to re-set the shaders on every shot .

4. DonAlexader

DonAlexader

Hey just found this and i am trying to determine how to do exactly the same thing. Did you eve figure out a workflow?
    thanks

5. U3D2307428397

U3D2307428397

What should I do if I want to use a "Animations Clips" for Alembic
    It's important to me
    If anyone knows,please tell me
    Thank you