Search Unity

Is it possible to have a beach with waves ?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by myka, Jun 22, 2012.

1. myka

myka

The title says it all people :D

Me and my team are currently creating a game like a mix of Skyrim and Call Of Duty. We have decided that instead of an infinite world were just gonna have a HUGE piece of Terrain. Right now we are working on the "boundaries" so around our Terrain we have decided to have beach but we would love if we could get huge waves on the beach (for the excuse of the boundaries) ? Is it possible to have waves on a beach made with Unity ?

Thanks in advance :D

2. DanielQuick

DanielQuick

Yes.

How? Mesh manipulation.

3. myka

myka

Example please ? Ima Google it right now but If you have any tutorials it would be very much appreciated :D

4. Tekniko

Tekniko

You could actually make the ocean real water and then turn on physics and have a huge plane in the middle, with collision on, moving back and forth. This would generate a wave effect. Well it does at the pool across the street from my house.

But yea, I would think that this sort of thing would be too graphic intensive. They particles involved to make it look real would just be insane.

5. myka

myka

Hmm. But what about Surfing games ? They all have waves (Obviously lol) so how could I make waves like that on my beach In Unity ?

6. DanielQuick

DanielQuick