Search Unity

Is it possible to have 100% realtime GI? Do I need to put the light/reflection probes?

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by Creiz, Mar 27, 2022.

1. Creiz

Creiz

So my game is a roguelike, meaning the environment is randomly generated. Each room can have different objects inside them, things like tables, barrels, etc. Each room also have a light switch that you can turn on and off.

Second, I'm building this game on a mid-range laptop from 2015, and baking GI at medium takes a little over 6 hours for a simple scene. So I'd very much rather do without.

So in addition to my question on the title, which is better for my use case? Default Pipeline or URP?

PS. While playing around with the lighting, I noticed that my scenes are rather very dark when using realtime GI as opposed to baked. I can just turn up the lights intensity and that's it, right?

2. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies

Given the randomly generated nature of your game, I don't think that you can use any precomputed lighting in your game. Perhaps screen space GI could work well for your use case. Keep in mind that SSGI is natively supported only in HDRP.

Creiz likes this.
  3. YvainR

YvainR

Unity Technologies

And about Built-in Render Pipeline vs URP. URP is designed to replace the Builtin pipeline in the future. So unless you are sure a feature you absolutely need will be missing in there, I'd go with URP.

Creiz likes this.