Search Unity

Question Is it possible to "freeze" or sample the data from the Position Node?

Discussion in 'Shader Graph' started by Zillus, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Zillus

Zillus

Odd title, I know; I'll explain.

I have spent a few days learning Shader Graph and putting together a fog-of-war prototype. One element of the system involves projecting a texture onto a flat plane from the point of view of the camera so that the angles look right (orthographic camera locked at 45 degrees relative to the plane). I achieve this by feeding a Postion(Space - View) node into the Sample Texture node's UV slot via a Tile and Offset Node. The flaw, completely obvious to me now, is that the projection moves with the camera, which breaks my system.

So, my question is, is there a way to sample/freeze the initial value from the Position Node, and continue to project the texture from that angle, allowing me to move the camera without the texture following?

I am not even sure what kind of data exactly the Position Node is feeding. Considering my camera is locked at a specific angle all the time can I just feed a hard-coded value into the UV without using that node at all; any idea how I would generate that value?

It's an unlit graph in URP by the way, though I doubt that matters for this.

I will be very, very sad if all the work I have done on this system can't be saved for the sake of this one issue - please help.

Thanks!

2. adamgolden

adamgolden

You could expose a "view offset" property and add it to your Position in the shader, call material SetVector("_viewOffset", currentViewOffset) whenever the camera position changes - there's probably a way to do it in the shader itself though.

Zillus likes this.
  3. Zillus

Zillus

Oh, interest! What value would I feed, a vector representing the difference between the camera's original position and its current position? Or the inverse of that, I suppose?

4. adamgolden

adamgolden

Yeah - just be sure that the difference you're passing is also in view space.

5. Zillus

Zillus

adamgolden likes this.