Search Unity

Is it possible to edit TMP Unity Package source code?

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by DCardillo, Oct 19, 2018.

1. DCardillo

DCardillo

Is it possible to edit the source code of the TextMesh Pro package when imported via the Unity Package Manager in 2018.2.10f1? All package related code seems to exist in a cache folder and isn't able to be tracked by version control for my project.

2. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

You can embed a package in a project. I believe users will be able to do this via the package manager UI in 2019.1 or maybe 2019.2. However until then the process is something like.

This requires that you copy the package folder into the project's "Packages" folder. So in the case of the TMP package, you would copy the "com.unity.textmeshpro@1.2.4" package into the projects "Packages" folder. You would rename the TMP package folder to remove the "@1.2.4".

Once a package is embedded, it won't get updated via the package manager anymore so this will be a manual process. (I guess until this feature is supported via the package manager).

P.S. I am sure there are posts about this from the package manager team, so you might want to search for one of those in case, I missed a step in the process outlined above.

Bogan221, Kronnect and ferretnt like this.
  3. DCardillo

DCardillo

Gotcha, thanks!

4. timwzw

timwzw

Unity should provide a remote original source of the source code. Otherwise, the upgrade of package cant works fine with customization.

5. Skyblade

Skyblade

Is it possible to participate in TextMesh Pro development?
    Will it be the part of Unity UI source code?

6. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

It will not be part of the Unity UI source code.

At some point the package repository will be made public but not in the near term.

Skyblade likes this.