Search Unity

Is it possible to edit a rigged 3d character texture?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Khai3, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Khai3

Khai3

I downloaded a character model but the character's hands had gloves applied to its texture.

1.PNG
    I want to edit the texture to get rid of the gloves and give the hands a natural skin colour. Is this possible?

2. Billy4184

Billy4184

Of course, whatever is on the texture will appear on the model, according to the UV mapping.

3. Khai3

Khai3

Any directions on how I can get this done? I have never touched 3d modelling before.

4. Antypodish

Antypodish

You need get access to a texture, to be able edit it.
    Find where is located.

5. N1warhead

N1warhead

Open the texture file with whatever paint program you use (Photoshop, Paintshop pro, Gimp, etc), then paint away :).
    Just double click the texture file (at least for me) and it opens it the default paint program I use.

Khai3 and Kiwasi like this.
  6. Khai3

Khai3

Alright. Thanks a lot guys

7. N1warhead

N1warhead

@Khai3 You're welcome mate. Feel free to always come back to the forums if you have questions.
    Just make sure you post in the right forum next time.

I'm not 100% certain, but I do think this was in the wrong area.
    But I could be wrong. But don't feel bad, I do it my self at times when I'm not 100% certain, and I've been here for years haha.

Khai3 likes this.
  8. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Use the clone brush to take color from the arm and copy it onto the hands. If you have roughness and specular textures, and anything fancy like SSS, you'll want to transfer those as well. All the skin should have the same PBR values, more or less.

Shouldn't need to touch the normal or AO channels, if you got those.

You don't need to use the 3d mode in photoshop, but skimming over this video may give you an idea of how it all works.

Khai3 and N1warhead like this.
  9. Khai3

Khai3

@N1warhead, @BIGTIMEMASTER
    Okay. Thanks so much for the replies :). They were really helpful. And yeah, I had my doubts that the general discussion forum was the right section.

I have a couple more questions.

3.PNG

5.PNG

I got working on it using paint3d and pretty much copied the texture from the opposite hand (that opposite hand had no gloves). The results weren't as seamless as I hoped. There is a purple ring overlay despite having already erased it. There is also a jarring difference in skin tone. It looked alright in the texture file but that didn't translate well into unity. Is there something I missed?

edit: Everything is good now. It worked once I reimported it

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    Antypodish likes this.
  10. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

If you have trouble with the seam showing up, that's probably because of the padding. An easy fix, but you have to understand what you are doing, so here's some reading material :

http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Edge_padding