Search Unity

Is it possible to disable all Debug.logs in builds?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Dreamwriter, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Dreamwriter

Dreamwriter

Pretty sure the answer is "no", but is it possible to disable all logging when making final release builds? We could of course go through our game and remove/disable all the Debug.logs that *we* create, but we're using a lot of plugins and DLLs that have their own logs, and Unity itself prints some things to the log.

The trick is, whenever there's a Debug.log it seems to open the log file, write something like 10 lines to it (call stack for the Debug.log), then close it. On certain devices (like iPhone) this is a slow process that can cause framerate issues, and I wouldn't be surprised if the file can get large enough to start affecting memory as well. And the log isn't really all that useful to us in release builds, unless we can convince a user to go through all the steps to pull it from the device and send it to us.

2. MSplitz-PsychoK

MSplitz-PsychoK

The Application class has a static LogCallback delegate and 2 LogMessageReceived events to listen for. I'm not sure if you can disable debug logs, but it's likely through either the Debug or Application class.

What I would do in your situation is make your OWN log class so you can call MyDebug.Log() and pass the results from there to the normal Debug.Log() unless you toggle a "ReleaseBuild" bool. Once you write that class, all you need to do is a "Find&Replace All" for your whole project, replacing Debug.log with MyDebug.Log().

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yeah write your own wrapper and flag the method with System.Diagnostics.ConditionalAttribute https://msdn.microsoft.com/de-de/library. Use either one of unitys conditionals or create your own. That way the compiler schould remove all calls to the method

4. liortal

liortal

holliebuckets likes this.
  5. Dreamwriter

Dreamwriter

Unfortunately, that doesn't really help me, because I don't want to remove Debug.Logs, I want them to just not write to the log file in release builds, something that should in theory be an easy thing for the Unity guys to implement. Because as I said, we use a LOT of plugins, I don't want to edit code in plugins, also some Debug.logs are hidden in DLLs, and Unity itself writes data to the console (and thus the log file), even in release builds. We actually created our own DebugLog class long ago (that unfortunately not everyone used in the long time since we started the project), but that doesn't completely solve the problem.

6. liortal

liortal

What do you mean write to the log file ?

On Android, for example, you see Unity's logs in logcat, but i don't think these are saved to any file...

What would you like to achieve ?

7. Dreamwriter

Dreamwriter

Dunno about Android, but at least on iOS, every Debug.Log is written to a log file, which is why having lots of Debug.Logs can really kill the framerate, as it is accessing the file system. And I'm assuming it affects memory as well, since it has to open this file which could get rather large after an extended play session.

8. liortal

liortal

So why wouldn't the suggested solution work ?

In release builds - all the debug.logs will be gone, automatically.

For other builds you will still have them.

9. freshingrain

freshingrain

In my project, i use this plugin to disable logs in builds. Just 1-click to enable or disable all logs.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  10. doztep

doztep

To disable logging completely use:
    Debug.logger.logEnabled=false;

To enable it use:
    Debug.logger.logEnabled=true;
    (Source: https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Debug.html and https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Debug-logger.html)

If you want logging dependent on development/release build or platform depending "You can also use the DEVELOPMENT_BUILD #define directive to identify whether your script is running in a player which was built with the “Development Build” option enabled." (Source: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/PlatformDependentCompilation.html)
    The option can be en- or disabled: "In the Build Settings dialog there is a check box called "Development Build". (Source: https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Debug.html).

And all together for development or release builds
    #if DEVELOPMENT_BUILD
    #else
    #endif

... or different platforms:
    #if UNITY_EDITOR
    #elseif UNITY_IPHONE
    #elseif UNITY_STANDALONE_OSX
    #endif

11. liortal

liortal

I wonder which Unity version introduced the Debug.logger field ... i wasn't aware of its existence !!

RakshithAnand likes this.
  12. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

It didn't exist until Unity 5.3.

--Eric

5argon and RakshithAnand like this.
  13. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi,
    I know its an old forum. But I had a doubt regarding disabling logs. if we disable logs "Debug.logger.logEnabled=false;", will it only disable the displaying of logs or will it disable the logs internally?
    Basically, is "Debug.logger.logEnabled=false;" equivalent to removing all the log statements in your scripts manually?

kobyle likes this.
  14. kobyle

kobyle

Wonder that aswell!

15. liortal

liortal

What exactly is your question ?

16. andymads

andymads

Didn't realise this functionality existed. Thanks.

17. kobyle

kobyle

Excatly what I quoted.
    Does setting logEnabled to false is equivalent to removing the log statements (aka doesnt enter to compilation proccess) ?

18. andymads

andymads

To answer your question: It's not equivalent to removing the statement because the method is still called. This means that any string concatenations, etc in the parameter list will still be executed too.

19. kobyle

kobyle

How did you verify it?

20. andymads

andymads

Code (CSharp):
    2. Debug.logger.logEnabled = false;
    3. Debug.Log(SomeFunc());
    SomeFunc() was called.

peetonn likes this.
  21. Baste

Baste

If you want to get around this, you'll want to use a Conditional method instead of the suggestions upthread.

Like this:

Code (csharp):
    1. public static class MyDebug {
    2.     [Conditional("DEVELOPMENT_BUILD")
    3.     public static string Log(string text) {
    4.         Debug.Log(text);
    5.     }
    6. }
    If the flag DEVELOPMENT_BUILD isn't set, all calls to MyDebug.Log will be skipped when compiling.

kobyle likes this.
  22. kobyle

kobyle

Thanks I have seen this method for solution, however this wont deal with 3rd party plugins, thus I wished there was a robust solution for Unity to offer.

23. Baste

Baste

There's no way to change what code in third party solutions do without changing those third party solutions. If you have them in source code form, you could write a parser that post-processes that source and strips Debug.Log calls. If you have them in dll form, it'll be much harder.

Essentially, if you've got a third party plugin that does this:
    Code (csharp):
    1. Debug.Log("Hello, this is version " + versionNumber + " of The_Cool_Plugin");
    You're just going to have to eat that allocation, or send a stern email to your plugin's author.

Setting logenabled to false will at least prevent file writes, which is the big problem.

kobyle likes this.
  24. kobyle

kobyle

Thanks, do you have a snippet for that post-process stripping?

25. Baste

Baste

Note the italics for could there. I know that it's possible to do things like that, but I have no idea how to go about it. It's probably very hard!

26. ismaelnascimentoash

ismaelnascimentoash

Very good !
    But current the code is : Debug.unityLogger.logEnabled = false;

27. DavidSWu

DavidSWu

Best to use a custom debug class as Baste mentioned and then Search and replace in all files if necessary.
    [Conditional()] is wonderful. It strips away any function calls and/or string formatting, and if you have code that checks something before that Log call that has no side effects, the optimizer should get rid of that too.

28. Karsnen_2

Karsnen_2

Try

Code (CSharp):
    1. Debug.unityLogger.logEnabled = false;

29. jister

jister

what about (ProjectSettings -> Player -> Resolution & Presentation):
    upload_2020-2-27_10-33-18.png
    and (ProjectSettings -> Player -> Other Settings)
    upload_2020-2-27_10-33-45.png

are these what unity provides to turn off all debugging in a Build?

30. MSplitz-PsychoK

MSplitz-PsychoK

Sort of. You can provide your own loggers using the debug API, and those loggers will still work when the player log is disabled. The player log is the output log that is generated automatically by Unity, and disabling it will probably not disable the rest of the Debug system (unless maybe they detect there are no available loggers).

Disabling all stack traces won't eliminate any log entries, but will make them shorter by excluding the "call stack", which lists all of the functions that needed to be called to get to the line of code that generated the log entry.

31. omar92

omar92

my solution (Tested on Unity2019.4)

this will only show exceptions

you can set it to LogType.Error for exceptions and errors and so on

#if !(DEVELOPMENT_BUILD || UNITY_EDITOR)
    Debug.unityLogger.filterLogType = LogType.Exception;
    #endif

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    AzeriPatates and CYCLE-6 like this.