Search Unity

Is it possible to crossfade audio using snapshots?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Chris_Randle, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Chris_Randle

Chris_Randle

Hi guys,

I've written some interactive music for a game and was hoping to control the crossfades between each state using snapshots. I'm having a hard time setting it up though, because there's an audible gap during each transition.

I've tried using different curve types. The only one that doesn't produce a gap is the 'brickwall' type but (as the name implies) it removes the fade completely and sounds very jarring. It sounds like the others fade out completely before fading the new snapshot in.

Has anyone had luck implementing this type of music system (or any other seamless crossfade between audio layers) using the snapshot feature?

laurentlavigne and Menion-Leah like this.
  2. michaelhartung

michaelhartung

3. Chris_Randle

Chris_Randle

Thanks for the response. I'm not in control of the code but our coder has confirmed that we're currently using that function.

4. martinmr

martinmr

5. Chris_Randle

Chris_Randle

This is the tutorial we used to implement the current system. Just to clarify, the issue isn't to do with getting snapshots to transition. We have snapshots switching, with fades in between.

The issue is to do with them transitioning in a way that allows two streams of music to crossfade without a noticeable quiet gap during the transition.

Normally this needs an 'equal power' crossfade. The closest to this is the 'square' fade in Unity (from what I can tell), but even this produces an audible gap. Like it fades out first, then fades the new snapshot in.

This post touches upon it, but I wasn't sure whether he was missing a feature or whether the issue was addressed before the Unity 5 release: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/unity-5-mixer-audio-feedback.293999/#post-1938132

6. Menion-Leah

Menion-Leah

Any luck with that?
    It seems that a proper crossfade feature is still missing, and I cannot find any related feature request.

Honestly, I find quite weird that Unity Technologies has designed such a powerful set of tools and they lack a basic feature like that.

7. wkaj

wkaj

Unity Technologies

I assume you guys mean between 2 different AudioGroups.

Transitions of volumes of AudioGroups just go from A to B. But you are asking for a transition type that will allow for constant power of volumes between 2 or more AudioGroups?

8. Menion-Leah

Menion-Leah

Yes, as Chris_Randle explained in his latest post.

9. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

So @wkaj where are you at with constant power cross fade?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  10. Pangamini

Pangamini

Any luck?

11. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

yeah I did it with some script that controlled the crossfading

12. doublegumbo

doublegumbo