Search Unity

Is it possible to create humanoid animations in editor?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by shopguy, Jan 16, 2016.

1. shopguy

shopguy

If I import my human models as Generic types I'm able to create animations in the Animation view by rotating bones, and all is happy in the world. If I try to do the same on a Humanoid type, it doesn't work. The model doesn't move and just reverts to some weird pose, the pose you see when you go in the mussel configuration area.

Probably just a limitation of the built-in animation editor, but wanted to check before I change my workflow to use Blender for animations, or purchase a plug-in to add this functionality to Unity.

hwajunepat likes this.
  2. Mecanim-Dev

Mecanim-Dev

You cannot keyframe a humanoid rig in Unity. It's disabled by design because our keyframing workflow is not powerful enough for humanoid rig. You should use an authoring tools like blender, max or maya to keyframe your character, they have better workflow and their tools are made to create asset.

shopguy likes this.
  3. dibdab

dibdab

this might work

memo6 likes this.
  4. shopguy

shopguy

Thanks for both replies. I did actually look at Skele shortly after I asked this question.. and some link to the Skele docs was actually the only place Google could find with an answer to this question. Nice to have someone from Unity confirm though, since 3rd party docs might be talking about older versions or who knows.

From here: http://skele.userecho.com/topic/585450-qa-best-workflow-to-work-with-humanoid-models/

"As Unity Animation window doesn't support direct editing on Humanoid rig models, we need to make/edit on the Legacy/Generic duplicate and generate Humanoid clips with DAE exporter;"

5. hwajunepat

hwajunepat

Is it still the case in version 2019.3 ??

6. bobthenob

bobthenob

you can use umotion to edit humanoid and it has forward kinematics

7. zeropointblack

zeropointblack

how about now. and if not, why in the world cant you. i dont buy that previous answer.

8. basilwort5

basilwort5

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  9. ltsc

ltsc

I don't understand, if i can not edit humanoid animation muscles in Unity why would i need to use humanoid animations? Just for using premade human animations from other softwares like maya, blender? Well everyone know all humans are different so we need to edit. If Unity want to add this feature, They can but i believe there is other unknown(They don't tell why) reason. They not "can't". Just They don't for know.

I can edit with ik rig but muscles look like much more useful. And it is 2021 cmon...

10. saltytunaicecream

saltytunaicecream

animations selling...$$$ for them

11. vickvic

vickvic

What if I make it generic and after back to humanoid

12. FoxcoreDevco

FoxcoreDevco

You are unable to do this simply because an imported animation is a read only file. Meaning keyframing is disabled.
    If you make it generic and duplicate the animation well now you have no way to revert the animation back to humanoid..