Search Unity

Is it possible to create endless water world?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by MinhDao, Mar 21, 2014.

1. MinhDao

MinhDao

Hi everybody,

In next plan, i want to make a water game. But I don't know can I create endless water world with unity free? Any asset in store can help me do this with unity free version?

Thank you! :p

2. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

The only real way to create "endless" anything is by moving the world around the player. You have floating point limitations on 3d spaces and if you move your objects forever at somepoint it will go crazy.
    Keep the boat fixed and move the water shapes under the player instead and yeah, you can have an infinite ocean.

3. MinhDao

MinhDao

Yeah, it is a good idea. I try it now. Thank you very much.

P/S : Hey, if i move both water shapes beside my object, Is it possible?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  4. web76

web76

Triton water system is great, is also endless, and simulates the waves and seastates. You find it in the asset store.
    Real mesh waves.

5. MinhDao

MinhDao

But 475$ is so high with me. I'm finding cheaper solution. Thank you

6. Brainswitch

Brainswitch

Check our scrawks thread here: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/171651-Ocean-Renderer

While some solutions are for Pro, some are not and best of all it's all free with source included :)

7. Windexglow2

Windexglow2

To give you a better answer, it really depends what you need it for. Water simulation (even in a featureless ocean) is pretty complex and takes a lot of work to get right (there's making it look good, making it play well with physics, and making it run well. Plus you need it to look good close up and miles away without noticeable seams).

You probably aren't going to find a realistic water for free. And I'd bet most of the good looking ones will need unity pro. Or you can do stylized ways which don't relay so much on compelx lighting. Take Zelda Wind Waker, a game released on the game cube years back.
    http://i.imgur.com/eGV8z.jpg

A flat ocean plane mixed with wave sprites that always face the camera. There's no complex swells in this scene, no complex waves.

Cryengine has nice looking water, but the engine doesn't give you much control over it.

8. kaiyum

kaiyum

Yes. Do as "BrUnO XaVIeR" suggested. And add this check:
    Cache your last(current) platform position. Upon placing next platform while you move, check position of next platform against origin. If it is greater than a specific value(of course way below to maximum to avoid overflow), move your current platform along with player to origin. Then recalculate position of next platform. Make sure your platform size is not very small.

Of course, here platform is water plane with necessary meshes.