Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

is it possible to create an online game without Unet, Photon or other services ?

Discussion in 'UNet' started by MagisterTerran, Dec 3, 2018.

1. MagisterTerran

MagisterTerran

Hi,

I am developing 2D platformer RPG mobile game for now it is single player but we want to implement online multiplayer. not mmorpg just 2 to 4 players over p2p or dedicated server. And I have been developing realtime web applications with .net mvc (and core) since 6 years and made a little game to try matchmaking online chat adding friend etc. over web with dotnet core. I was wondering can I implement my own matchmaking, chat and saving players info(inventory, level, coin etc) to my own DB which is mongoDB and MSsql over API with amazon cloud (not their gamelift) without photon or any other services ? What would be the pros and cons ? I am new to developing games so if I made some stupid question for developing multiplayer games dont mind me.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  2. mischa2k

mischa2k

Yes it's possible.
    Most people don't do it though, because finishing a multiplayer game is very difficult as it is, let alone having to worry about the networking stack.

3. MagisterTerran

MagisterTerran

Thank you for answer mate. Which developers you mean by most people ? We are building high end graphics and good gameplay. So we need best idea to develop multiplayer. Can you enlighten my way bit more

4. mischa2k

mischa2k

It's the same reason why we use Unity instead of raw C++. We want to focus on the gameplay, not the rendering, physics, etc.

If you extrapolate from there then it makes sense to also use an existing network library instead of creating your own.