Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Is it possible to compare CS changes in History?

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by CaptCheerios, Aug 28, 2017.

1. CaptCheerios

CaptCheerios

How to view diffs of individual files through previous commits.

So I've just started using Collab for a few months all has been well and there was a bug introduced in one of the past few commits that easy solution is to just go read through the history and check the diffs on all the changes of my code.

How do I do this? Git, you just pull up the log, find the revision, right click the modified file and compare with base. There is no such option to do so in Collab. I've setup TortoiseSVN so I have TortoiseMerge, but no option shows up to show me an option to check the changes.

What am I doing wrong because that seems like an extremely important feature for Unity to leave out of version control.

ina and unity_4liJIeiOUSoWow like this.
  2. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @CaptCheerios! At this time, the only way to compare between your current version of a script and a previous version is to navigate to that file in the Assets tab of the Collaborate section of the Developer Dashboard, download the version of that file that you would like to compare it with and then compare the two files. This is a workflow that we absolutely intend to improve in the future.

Collab was designed for basic project sharing and conflict resolution that can be inclusive of all team members regardless of familiarity with traditional source control. We're continuing to work on finding ways to implement features like this one while following that theme, so letting us know what you need is greatly appreciated.

rahulk1991 and Boulou-be like this.
  3. CaptCheerios

CaptCheerios

Wouldn't version comparisons be a basic functionality? I understand making it simple to use would be important, so things like branching would really make things complicated. However lacking the ability to compare changes in code is something critical in the debugging workflow.

Having to download two copies, pull up tortoisemerge and make comparisons there is significantly more complicated and alienating to someone new to the process. Slimming down the options is always great for beginners but you should be able to add in the comparison functionality without confusing anyone on what it is used for (I understand branching can be confusing so leaving it out is a smart decision, but I think Collab users are smart enough to not get confused by a tool for comparing two code files)

Hopefully you will be able to find a solution to integrate more core functionality into Collab in the future, sadly I am going to have to migrate back to the local GIT server, Collab was a fun experiment. (Collab's cloud repo provided a wonderful flexibility to allow my team to work from home at times,plus it had much simpler tools for artists, but I can't sacrifice debugging capabilities for that)

4. _MGB_

_MGB_

+1 for compare functionality!

5. unity_4liJIeiOUSoWow

unity_4liJIeiOUSoWow

Bump.... This essentially makes the service unusable for anyone doing anything of substance. Do ya need me to write the functionality to do this automagically?

Its as simple as save the history file to a local temp directory then launching whichever diff tool is installed on the two files. As you stated.

The tool can do the workflow already, smashing a local working file is not a viable solution ever.

rahulk1991, FlashyGoblin and ina like this.
  6. NestorAlgieri

NestorAlgieri

sucks ass after all these years still!

7. MoMoGames360

MoMoGames360

*cough* I wouldn't be talking *cough* soc *cough*

8. Jaynesh

Jaynesh

9. LemanColt

LemanColt

a compare function would be really helpfull!

10. See_Sharp

See_Sharp

I see how visual studio adopted GIT in their workflow, no idea why Unity started this collaborate stuff while GIT has been widely known as one of the tools for version control.

It's been more than 3 years and I still can't see changes a colleague has pushed in a very convenient way :(.

MousePods likes this.
  11. tantix

tantix

Any updates here? Are there any plans to improve collaborate in this respect, and if so, what is the timeframe?

McGravity likes this.
  12. Plync

Plync

Yeah... this is crazy, this feature is an absolute MUST!

13. ademord

ademord

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
  14. ademord likes this.
  15. ademord

ademord

@Lurking-Ninja ah yes I remember they recently announced that. Thank you!