Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it possible to change the Host when he left the game?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Deleted User, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi, im new and i want to try out the new network system, it looks super simple and i like to work with it.

I like the lobby concept so:
    I want create a 3d mario style lobby where the player can pick his room, i dont want create/buy a server just for this lobby so i was thinking about a player host the lobby, when he join a room ore leave the game he give the host to a random person in the Gamelobby to hold the connection.

Is this possible?
    Can you share me your experience, you try it before?
    What i need to do to go this next step by myself?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2015
  2. Deleted User

Deleted User

no answer?

3. KoRnZYSIEK

KoRnZYSIEK

The process you're describing is called Host Migration - you need to store the player list in the same way on all the hosts, and all the data needed to recreate your game state. When the master drops out you need to choose one of the players from the list - it needs to create the server, let the rest of players join and recreate the game again. At least thats how it goes for old networking system.

As I was looking around the tutorials available for UNET new networking system, I couldn't find anything about it. Anyone knows if there is any support for Host Migration implemented or it has to be done manually as in old unity networking?

Deleted User likes this.
  4. KoRnZYSIEK

KoRnZYSIEK

5. LovattoStudio

LovattoStudio

Basing on the official video of unity about UNet , the end of it, announce that work on a solution for "Host Migration", so I guess this will be added in a future update.

KoRnZYSIEK likes this.
  6. seanr

seanr

Unity Technologies

Host Migration support in the HLAPI is on the UNet roadmap. There are no more scheduling details available at the moment.

KoRnZYSIEK likes this.
  7. Deleted User

Deleted User