Search Unity

Is it possible (on the Quest) to update an apk from an apk?

Discussion in 'VR' started by float, Apr 4, 2020.

1. float

float

Hi all,
    as the title suggests:

I am running into a problem, where i want to actually update an apk from an already installed apk on the quest.
    On my mobile-phone everything works as is expected (with all the security-screens). But on the Quest i just see 3 dots, when it should install.
    When exiting out of the app it shows a window saying something like "Installation for Packages" Contine, Abort, Take Screenshot and so on.

The app itself is sideloaded via adb with full rights.

Is it even possible or do they trying to prevent such things?

Thnx!

2. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

My guess, based on android experience:

1. The OS is hardcoded to prevent any app from "faking" those popups
    2. That means that the VR headset *cannot display the popups", this is a secruity feature to prevent an app from secretly agreeing to "yes, you can track my location. Yes, you can turn on my microphone. Yes, you can send my conversations where I do my phone banking ... to a mafia worker who will then steal all my money" (tehre are many apps that have been published that tried to do all the above, so this isn't even theoretical, it's real :))
    3. The only way around this would be for Oculus to include a customised build of Android on their hardware - which they can definitely do! They (should) already have the source code.

Sicne the quest is a handset ... but without a screen ... I wouldn't be surprised if it's not (currently) possible. But I would also expdct that Oculus had added some special-handling for this stuff. Try asking their support team directly? It's probably some obscure API in their developer portal.

3. EnduvoJD

EnduvoJD

I'm having the same issue. My update code works fine on my phone, but not on Quest. Via adb I check that REQUEST_INSTALL_PACKAGES permission was granted and there are no exceptions with the intent.

The only notable thing I'm noticing on the device monitor is this:
    upload_2021-1-21_11-33-33.png

Did you ever resolve this, @float ?

ROBYER1 likes this.