Search Unity

Is it permissible to modify the source code of IL2CPP according to the terms of use?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by unity_421C65D792136CAE1CB2, May 30, 2023.

1. unity_421C65D792136CAE1CB2

unity_421C65D792136CAE1CB2

I have exported it as an Android project for the purpose of embedding the global-metadata.dat file into the source code. Now, I intend to modify the /unityLibrary/src/main/Il2CppOutputProject/IL2CPP/libil2cpp/vm/MetadataLoader.cpp file. Are there any issues with this in terms of the terms of use?

2. neginfinity

neginfinity

Interesting.

Actually I'd expect this file to have license printed on the top of it.

By default, if it is a part of ilcpp and is not some random generated file, it should have same license as unity editor, as described here:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/il2cpp-license.661387/

Meaning you actually are not allowed to alter it.

However, this is a guess, and I' not part of unity. A unity employee could step in and clarify. You can also contact support.

3. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Thanks for raising this question. The normal Unity license does not allow modification of the libil2cpp code as you suggested. There is an enterprise license which you can purchase that does include the option to modify source code. I'm not sure about the pricing of that license though.