Search Unity

Is it me or the Windows Universal Platform has really bad performance for 3d games?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by The_Domaginarium, Nov 13, 2018.

1. The_Domaginarium

The_Domaginarium

Hello!
    Well I was trying this game on an Xbox One using WUP, and I noticed that the game runs at 20fps. In contrast, my MacBook Pro 2013 runs it at 60fps.

On a side note, those 20fps were AFTER switching all the materials to legacy materials, and turning off GI, in hopes that would improve performance (it didn't).

What's your experience (if any) with WUP on Xbox One?
    Thanks!

2. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Universal Windows Platform has the same performance as Windows Standalone player. Note, scripting backend can affect this (different scripting backends have different performance). Also, running it on a weak machine (like Xbox One) will make it run slower. There are a number of forum posts about performance when running on Xbox One - did you read any of them? Did you try profiling your game?

3. The_Domaginarium

The_Domaginarium

Hi, I've read some of those threads about WUP on Xbox but so far, no luck. I am also profiling my game (from within Visual Studio) but I haven't been able to find anything out of the ordinary. I am not sure if the Unity profiler would work, because I can't get it to connect to the Xbox IP, so I can't do the same level of profiling as in other projects.

Thanks.

4. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Make sure you build your UWP project in "Release" configuration and you enable internet capabilities (private networks, internet server and internet client) - that should make Unity profiler be able to connect.