Search Unity

Is it legal to sell a game if you copied script from a tutorial

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by BLGaming260, Jan 13, 2019.

1. BLGaming260

BLGaming260

Hello. Well, i was wondering is it legal to copy scripts from other tutorials, and sort them all into your own logic, and sell your game, or put it on asset store? for ex. N3K, or Brackeys.. I'll be glad if someone can help me...

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  2. Antypodish

Antypodish

Most times you can not use purchased assets, or part of assets, to resell as own asset.
    I suggest you read relevant assets licence.
    However, nothing stops from learning from them, and creating own.

3. SparrowGS

SparrowGS

When in doubt, look for the license, if not available - contact the creator.

If you saw a tutorial on say object pooling, I doubt you can publish it as your own asset(unless the license states otherwise), but I think it's okay to use in a game.

I did see a terrain asset on the store that is basically sebastian lague's terrain generator with some improvements.

also, whatever we say won't hold up in court incase your sued("but the internet told me.."), look for the license.
    also also, like @Antypodish said, if you base your own code on a tutorial the rule of close(or far in this case)-enough applies imo.

Antypodish likes this.
  4. BLGaming260

BLGaming260

Could I publish my game if i lets say, ask the owner of a script can i use it in my own game? thanks

5. Antypodish

Antypodish

If is not permitted in licence, you would need most likely written permission.

But think about it.
    You put your own sweat and blood to make asset. You sell one person. Person ask same what you. You agree.
    Now person is selling own asset, with yours embedded. Person earns money with your cost, you don't and you loose potential customers as well.

BLGaming260 and SparrowGS like this.
  6. SparrowGS

SparrowGS

Assuming he says yes, then yes, wasn't that clear?

Just remember to have evidence that he agreed and under what terms, you don't want your game going super-successful and all of a sudden some guy comes in and wants half the profits.

BLGaming260 and Antypodish like this.