Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it legal to release a unity game while under 18

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dusthound, Feb 17, 2019.

1. dusthound

dusthound

Is it legal to release a unity game onto a site like Itch.io or Kongregate while under 18? I read the terms of service and it says that I can't submit content to unity, so does that mean I only can't submit content to the unity asset store?

angrypenguin likes this.
  2. Mauri

Mauri

It depends on the platform you want to publish. Most of them require you to be 18+ or having your parents/guardian consent. If in doubt, always ask your parents/guardian.

itch.io says the following in their Terms (under "2. Users and Publishers"):

Kongregate states the following in their User Agreement (under "3. Requirements To Use Our Services"):

Socrates and Ryiah like this.
  3. dusthound

dusthound

So this means that Unity does not have a problem with me uploading my games to websites? I get that websites will need your parents consent, I am just worried about Unity not allowing me to upload stuff I have made.

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

Correct.

5. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Easy life hack: when internet asks you if you’re over 18 just check the ‘yes’ box. I do it all the time. Thought to be fair I’m 36..

Samuel411 and Kiwasi like this.
  6. Mauri

Mauri

Ryiah is right: Unity doesn't prohibit you from creating games and publishing them.

It really depends on the platform you want to publish your games on, so be sure to check any Terms Of Service / Terms & Conditions / User Agreements / ... beforehand. And if something is unclear, just ask your legal guardian/parents - they don't bite ;)

7. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

This could cause problems if you're selling your games, though. You're entering into a contract where you want them to give you money later on. I wouldn't willfully do anything that could add bumps to that road.

I like you already. :) Most people start out by not reading things, you also seem to be paying attention, and you're asking intelligent questions to boot.

Rock on!

dogzerx2 and Ryiah like this.
  8. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I've been 18 and older on the internet since I was 12. It works for general browsing and social media. My kids are also over 18 at 7 and 9. I personally moderate what content they receive and when they are old enough to access it. I'm not delegating parenting of my kids out to the US government.

But when it comes to exchanging money, its a different story. Most countries have minimum ages to enter a contract, and you generally need a contract to get paid. There is a non zero chance that lying about your age makes your contract null and void. If you get caught, you might not get paid. And there is a decent chance that someone will catch you out somewhere. If money is changing hands, get your parents to be the signatories.

9. Murgilod

Murgilod

I was born on Jan 01, 1900.

dogzerx2 and Kiwasi like this.
  10. dusthound

dusthound

Thanks, that was really what I was looking for.

11. dusthound

dusthound

I don't intend to sell my games while I am still learning how to use unity. I will wait until I can give people a better product.

Socrates, Ryiah and angrypenguin like this.