Search Unity

Is it illegal to replicate someone's asset store name and reuse some assets?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by 3, Jun 27, 2014.

1. 3

So I found this thing, that just went up today:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/19041

It is awfully similar to my own asset, released a couple weeks ago,
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/18490

The similarities are obviously pretty big, too much for me to ignore. Same name, same price. I'm completely okay with someone making their own hovercar, but when the asset uses similar variables (yes, I bought it to see...), has a really similar name, and the same price tag, I can't ignore it, is there anything I can do about this?

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

It's not the same name; yours is "HoverCar Physics & Starter Kit"; the other is called "Hovercraft Physics". Both are fairly generic names, and with a similar subject matter, it's not surprising that the names are also somewhat similar. The screenshots of the inspector also look quite different, and the project setups are very different. As for similar variable names, well yeah, given the subject matter I would expect that. Without actually seeing the actual content of the scripts myself, going by what I can see I would say it's simply a coincidence.

These things happen...it turned out that one of my utilities had a similar utility released shortly before mine, and I didn't have any idea of its existence until later. As for what you can do about it, try to make yours better. That's the idea of competition.

--Eric

3. Dantus

Dantus

As it is about physics, the actual asset from the package are the scripts and they seem to vary a lot.

4. 3

Well i'm not trying to surpress competition, not at all, it just made me a bit upset. But you are probably right, if it really is just coincidence, props to that guy, and best of luck to him, aside from a couple of planned updates (more for my own enjoyment) I'm not really trying to push my asset. Not really doing it for commercial gain, hell, I've only made 45 dollars so far without taking out Unity's cut.

But yeah, I agree, good luck to the other guy and I'm probably just being paranoid