Search Unity

Is it good to switch to HDRP and keep updating?

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by aneeshsharma15, Jun 26, 2019.

1. aneeshsharma15

aneeshsharma15

Would it be good if I switch to HDRP now with my game? HDRP would be out of preview in an year from now (I think according to some reddit and unity forum posts I saw). I expect my game to take a bit less than an year to complete. I wish to switch so that I can use Shader Graph for some effects I needed. Also, I don't wish to switch to LWRP as I am targeting PCs and consoles. So, would it be nice to switch now and keep updating the game to newer versions of HDRP until its out of preview. Could it create problems? If yes, what kind of?

If anyone is into this please help me decide.

2. id0

id0

If you choose switch to HDRP you must prepare to rewrite ALL your textures for HDRP needs. It can be done automaticly now, unity create Mask textures from all your specular/metallic/ambient textures. I made this by hand, there were no such options back there.

Also you cannot use PostProcessing stack V2 in HDRP. HDRP have it's own PostProcessing, and it's impossible write something for this PP yet. You can throw all your custom post-effects into the dump if you had them.

You can find a few more problems, which you can't even imagine right now (compile shaders many hours, realtime GI not works correctly (well it's obsolete anyway) and so on, and so on...).

But in the end, you will get speed boost, and much much better picture. From what I remember HDRP is the best what Unity did. I like HDRP, despite all his problems.

3. shredingskin

shredingskin

Amplify shaders used to break and needing update to different templates, now it seems to work with both v6 and v7, so that's a plus.
    Honestly it depends on what shaders you can/can't upgrade and if you think there's an actual performance/visuals tradeoff (which in most of the stuff I've tried, kinda doesn't).
    Just try for yourself on a backup of your project (or use the assets you most use to see the workflow).
    If you are using mostly standard shaders I'd give it a try.