Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it good or bad to use System.Timers.Timer instead of a Coroutine ?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Kiupe, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Xype

Xype

Having 2 files is easier to read than 1...weird. Maybe you should learn to comment. Any code is easy to read if you comment the code.

2. LaneFox

LaneFox

This is pretty hilarious.

3. fire7side

fire7side

Yes, that's the reason we make functions. Sure, you can write code that's readable in that fashion since you are just calling functions anyway, but the average person trying to write a game is going to write a long string of bad code that way. All you are doing is reintroducing the flags that are built into coroutines. Flags are just another place to have a logic error. We could all just put our own hooks in a main game loop but for most of us, it would result in more logic errors. That's why Unity is popular and the old engines that did that are dead.

4. LiterallyJeff

LiterallyJeff

/thread

Can we get a thread lock? This has gone so far off the deep end.

KelsoMRK likes this.
  5. KelsoMRK

KelsoMRK

Unless @Xype has tangible test results with sample code that we can all look at. But we're firmly in the "put up or shut up" zone at this point.

Suddoha likes this.
  6. fire7side

fire7side

I like these types of discussions because it makes me listen and learn. I did a little searching and found that coroutines can cause extra garbage collection and there are a few practices that make it more efficient. The one I found interesting and easy to do is this:
    Code (csharp):
    2. WaitForSeconds delay = new WaitForSeconds(1f);
    4. while (!isComplete)
    5. {
    6.    yield return delay;
    7. }
    also returning null is better than returning 0, even though they do the same thing.
    There are a lot of tips for using the garbage collector less here:
    https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials...ion/optimizing-garbage-collection-unity-games

chelnok and KelsoMRK like this.