Search Unity

Is HDRP Working in Linux Editor?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by tommywright, Jan 2, 2019.

1. tommywright

tommywright

Is HDRP working in the Linux Unity Editor? I started a project using HDRP (2018.3) and didn't see any models in the viewport when loading the sample scene. There might be something simple that I'm missing though.

2. tetto_green

tetto_green

3. Ryiah

Ryiah

Ignore the wiki. It's very much out of date. Unity gained experimental Vulkan support on Linux with 2018.2.

https://blogs.unity3d.com/2018/07/10/2018-2-is-now-available/

You need to enable it by going to Edit -> Settings -> Player, unchecking "Auto Graphics API for Linux", move Vulkan to the top of the list, and then restart the editor. After you've done that the HDRP should work.

amitron5 and ivan866 like this.
  4. tommywright

tommywright

Thanks so much for the info! Unfortunately that give me a 100% crash when trying to reopen the project. Sending the report to Unity now.

createtheimaginable and PixelJ like this.
  5. Deleted User

Deleted User

In my case, Vulkan is crashing in 2018.3f2

If you want to try HDRP in my case 2018.2.20 works better (Ubuntu 18.10)

6. eggyone

eggyone

i can't get a project i imported from asset store to work because of it's still not supported with opengl, switching to vulkan doesn't help either. i running this on unity, linux version 2019.4, is there anyway to switch to a different rendering pipeline ?

7. pyroakm

pyroakm

We've got a HDRP project working correctly on Mageia Linux/Vulkan (2019.4).

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  8. renexdev

renexdev

Thanks @Ryiah, it works!
    My sys specs:
    Debian 9
    Unity 2019.3.10.f1
    High Definition RP 7.3.1
    VK 1.1.121.1

9. Saggingcube

Saggingcube

After 2018.2, no HDRP does not work on Linux. I have tried many different versions of Ubuntu and Unity (as well as different kernels, mesa versions) . They all crash on play or exit play. Hope this gets sorted in the future. Would love to have another excuse to get rid of a windows partition permanently, but until this gets fixed, Ill have to keep it.

UPDATE:
    HDRP will work with nvidia gpus. Still crashing with AMD hardware. Does the Unity Editor need amdgpu-pro drivers? This issue is really starting to get annoying.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  10. AwesomeAlexx

AwesomeAlexx

How did you make it work with Nvidia GPUs ?
    I'm stuck since days now, trying updating unity to 2020.1, also upgrading HDRP package, upgrade Nvidia drivers ... doesn't change anything.
    I thought it comes from me so I tried the sample scene and have the same behaviour.

Tested on 2 configs :

Linux openSuse Leap 15.0

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
    Intel i7-5820k CPU @ 3.3Ghz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
    Intel i7-7800k CPU @ 3.5Ghz

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  11. Saggingcube

Saggingcube

I was able to run on Nvidia by running "sudo vulkaninfo" in the terminal as mentioned in this forum post https://forum.unity.com/threads/ubuntu-18-04-hdrp-vulkan-black-screen.868543/#post-6202320. After that I was able to run HDRP without it crashing. Not sure if I was on 2019.4 or 2020.1.2... Mind you I was only testing out the SampleScene within the Unity Sample Projects.

I would also double check and make sure you arent using your intel integrated gpu.

Sadly this method/work around doesnt work with amd. I just moved to windows when using Unity HDRP altogether. I have completely given up trying to work with it in Linux.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  12. AwesomeAlexx

AwesomeAlexx

Ok thanks, I think my problem comes from OpenSuse, like you I sadly decided to giving up by missing time.
    I thought Unity could help on this but they all seems to be on holidays.

13. umarali_43

umarali_43

Hey, I am having same kind of issue after shifting to HDRP. I have set the graphics API for Linux to Vulkan. But my meshes are still not visible in inspector or scene. On reimporting meshes, it says:
    "ImportFBX Errors:
    Couldn't read file /home/Projects/Assets/Meshes/Player.FBX.
    Unexpected file type"

However, I can see the same mesh correctly, if downloaded from somewhere and dragged into the Unity on Linux. But can't see the meshes coming from git. I always commit meta files. Everything is working fine on Windows on same branch.

14. umarali_43

umarali_43

Hey,
    I solved the issue. The issues was that I had to do "git lfs pull" instead of "git pull". This may help somebody.

FlightFight likes this.