Search Unity

Is game localization something you consider important?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Morgondag, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Morgondag

Morgondag

Let's talk game localization!

Is game localization something you consider important?

Vast Void (which we talked about here: https://morgondag.io/blogs/morgondag/hey-what-is-vast-void) will be released in English. And we're currently looking at translating the game to other languages as well. But is game localization something you consider important?

We created a poll in this week's blog post; go and and vote and let us know your thoughts:
    https://morgondag.io/blogs/morgondag/localize-vast-void-or-not

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

Not initially, no. Depending on the project, localisation can be an absolutely massive undertaking, so sometimes it's best to test your primary market first.

angrypenguin likes this.
  3. grimunk

grimunk

Some games limit their localization to their most popular markets. Don't Starve Together, for example, is extremely popular in Asia, so they focused their efforts there. Usually your 'hit market' will emerge, because even if your game is in english enough people in most markets understand it well enough to play, especially when dialogue is not significant to gameplay.

4. zereda-games

zereda-games

My opinion on localization is to get the basics across so anyone can learn it and give feedback. if you find there are a lot of users using a specific language you have 2 choices. Base the game entirely around that language to avoid localization, or, localize the most common users languages only. Otherwise the undertaking would be immense to do say 50 languages...

5. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

If you ever want to localize your game, you need to think about it early on. There are a couple of things which can be a nightmare if localization is an after-thought. Like UI for example and the different length of words in different languages, building of sentences and phrases, different syntax, etc.
    So if you're thinking about localization, then it's important to plan with it from day one.

6. Ryiah

Ryiah

That said Text Mesh Pro can automatically resize the font to fit the text to the component boundaries. I had to create a menu a few hours ago and thanks to that it's able to scale the font as the resolution and the word length changes.

FontSize.png

7. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

AFAIK That's not for run-time. Somewhere on the TMP forums Stephan mentioned that auto size should be used only in edit mode. Also it's really not predictable how it looks if you don't test all the texts. So yeah, in theory you have an unreliable solution.

angrypenguin likes this.
  8. Ryiah

Ryiah

I haven't looked into any of his posts on the TMP forums, but none of his posts on the Unity forums when he's responding to questions about autosize say anything about it being intended only for edit-time.

xVergilx likes this.
  9. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

This would be the concerning bit to me. Some platforms have readability requirements. They don't appear to be very strict requirements in many cases, but I still wouldn't want to get my game rejected because I'd overlooked that.

I agree it's still a useful tool, though. I'd much rather that my text was accidentally smaller than intended, rather than accidentally being cut off or overflowing the intended area. So I'd consider using that functionality, but I'd also design and test for it.

10. SmartMediaNL

SmartMediaNL

By change i was reading "Optimizing Unity" yesterday.
    https://learn.unity.com/tutorial/optimizing-unity-ui#5c7f8528edbc2a002053b5a3

First Unity UI text:

However for TMP the story seems a bit different:

11. SparrowsNest

SparrowsNest

Really?, I have a shop with thousands of auto sized TMP text and i havn't noticed the slightest issue with it.

xVergilx likes this.