Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Is Forward Renderer in ANY LTS version of Unity?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vamosfa, Mar 26, 2020.

1. vamosfa

vamosfa

I was experiencing serious problems with Unity 2019.2.16f1: any Build of a scene got the GPU to 100% performance, even if the scene is empty, in any different project.

So it was advised by other professionals of these issues and I was recommended to use the last LTS version. If I am not wrong, it is 2018.4.19f1? Ok, it is a problem because my project is LWRP and I do not find Forward Renderer in nowhere. In 2019 it used to be in Asset/Create/Rendering/LWRP/Forward Renderer, but in the 2018.4.19f1 version, I do not know where it is, or if even it is possible to use it in this version?.

Please, help!

2. BonneCW

BonneCW

If your GPU is on 100% on an empty scene you probably should turn on vsync. In 2019.2 in the game view there is a vsnc toggle next to the stars toggle. For a player build you need to enable vsync in the quality settings.

vamosfa likes this.
  3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I wouldn't try downgrading your Unity 2019 project to Unity 2018.4. With vsync off and Application.targetFrameRate set to -1, a Unity standalone build will attempt to run at the maximum framerate until it hits a hardware bottleneck. If the bottleneck ends up being the GPU, then the GPU will be at 100%. If it is the CPU, then you'll see at least 1 CPU core at 100%.

If you want to reduce frame rate to reduce GPU utilization you can try enabling either of those.

Also, bolding every few words makes your post painful to read.

4. vamosfa

vamosfa

Thanks for replying!

Ok, I went back to 2019.2 to try, I see and I Toogle on the VSync button in the Game tab.

But in the Quality Settings, I see 3 options regard to VSync, which one I should choose?

upload_2020-3-27_0-14-6.png

5. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Have you looked up the documentation to try and figure it out? Or have you given them a try to see if they solve the problem? There's just two other options to choose from, it's not like there's a lot of ways this could go wrong.

Personally I'd choose "Every V Blank". This tells the computer to send one new frame per monitor refresh. "Every Second V Blank" tells it to send one new frame for every two monitor refreshes, which halves your frame rate. If your game is targeting 30fps this makes a lot of sense, but that's not your purpose here.

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Vblank option for editor in recent versions is in the game view area as a drop down.

vamosfa likes this.
  7. vamosfa

vamosfa

Thanks but it is not a fps issue, I control fps through script, the problem is GPU 100% and apparently no matter if the game .exe run at 15 or 1.000 fps, the result is always the GPU about the explode. I tried almost everything.

8. vamosfa

vamosfa

Thanks, buth you can not enable either, if you enable Vsync, targetFrameRate stop working, and only Vsyn is take into account.

9. vamosfa

vamosfa

Do you mean Vsyn in Game tab? or maybe Vsyn Count in Quality Settings, chosing Every Blank or Every 2 Blank?

In 2019.2, I do not see any more options.

10. vamosfa

vamosfa

I guess I tried almos everythin!!!! Tens of hours reading Unity documentation, watching Unity videos, and performing iterations: mixing combinations between different Application.targetFrameRate, QualitySettings.vSyncCount with different values, activating or deactivating VSycn in tab Game and in Quality Settings (with al different options Every V Blank, Every 2 Blank, Don´t Sync).

I see very strange that my scrpts in Asset/Editor do not make any effect in Runtime, so if I set a frameRate of whatever having Vsyn deactivated, frameRate does nothing. Or, if a write QualitySettings.vSyncCount = 0; VSyn is working in Run Time, so it is not affected by the script.
    This is the script I wrote in Asset/Editor no matter the combination of values, the results is always FPS = 1.800 aprox. in a Empty scene:

using UnityEngine;
    public class TargetFrameRate : MonoBehaviour
    {

void Start()
    {

Application.targetFrameRate = 100;
    //Sync framerate to monitors refresh rate
    QualitySettings.vSyncCount = 0;
    }

Ok, as the script in Asset/Editor is not havng any effect, I created the next script in a object in the Hierarchy, and succesfully managed to stablish the fps I want, but the ONLY AND ORIGINAL PLOBLEM IS THE SAME: GPU 100% when running an .exe:

using UnityEngine;
    public class TargetFrameRate : MonoBehaviour
    {
    public int target = 60;

void Start()
    {
    //Make the game run as fast as possible
    //Application.targetFrameRate = 100;
    //Sync framerate to monitors refresh rate
    QualitySettings.vSyncCount = 0;
    }
    void Update ()
    {
    if (target != Application.targetFrameRate)
    {
    Application.targetFrameRate = target;
    }
    }
    }

I am pretty sure that it is a Unity issue, therefore they should solve it.

Any idea?

11. Ryiah

Ryiah

Are the scripts you posted above the actual scripts you claim are controlling FPS?

12. vamosfa

vamosfa

The second one is controlling fps being a component of an Empty in the Scene. The script itself is located in Asset folder.

13. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

QualitySettings.vSyncCount = 0; will disable vsync

14. vamosfa

vamosfa

It is supposed to happen according to Unity documentation, but if I write it in a script located in Asset/Edit folder, it does nothing in my project.

15. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

You are supposed to set it to 1.

Also the vsync for editor is in the game window drop down, so I guess it's not your problem ?

16. Murgilod

Murgilod

If you're putting it in an editor folder it's not going to be in the build I'm pretty sure.

vamosfa likes this.
  17. Ryiah

Ryiah

18. vamosfa

vamosfa

If QualitySettings.vSyncCount = 1; Application.targetFrameRate does not work, so I can not set fps. It is said in Unity docs.

19. vamosfa

vamosfa

You are absolutely right, I do not know where I read it but it does not work, it does why I am using it code as component of an object in the Scene.

20. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

The framerate is capped with application.targetFramerate. It is not "set".

angrypenguin likes this.
  21. vamosfa

vamosfa

XD In my case is exactly set because default fps is hundred times bigger (1.800 fps) that convenient, so it is set to no more than 60. Thanks anyway.

22. vamosfa

vamosfa

I can confirm what I already said here: Unity 2019.2 should be fixed or destroyed because if one developer publishes a game with its version, he potentially can break any GPU device.
    I managed to solve the problem in Unity 2019.2, I did by myself what should be done by default in this version, my main obstacle was trying to insert the correction code in Editor folder, as I always read "write in the editor...", so I wrote the last code I wrote in preview messages in a object in the scene, and the subsequent Build was no more of 17% GPU in a Empty scene....Of course it is too much for a blank scene, but at least it doesnt destroy devices.
    I tried to build in a project v.2020 alpha (but I can not use it cause Gaia Pro it is not availabe here) and everything run normal without use unnecessary codes.
    I tried to build in a project v.2018 LTS (but I can not use it cause Forwrad Render it is not availabe here) and everything run normal without use unnecessary codes.
    So, as I said 2019.2 performance is broken and Unity should do something to avoid legal problems to its users.

23. Murgilod

Murgilod

Given the fact that this is only happening to you, I think you're being overdramatic. There isn't even an issue tracker entry for what you're describing, but if it was a common problem on Unity's end it would 100% be there.

I'm reasonably certain this is PEBKAC.

Ryiah likes this.
  24. vamosfa

vamosfa

You are reasonably wrong as you have no facts. If I create from scratch an absolutely empty project with all different versions, I do not touch anything, and I only press Build, and only one of the versions fail, it is not because of the user, it is because of the version.

25. BonneCW

BonneCW

I have a project running with 2019.2 as well and don't have your problem, neither in editor nor in player, so yes, Murigold is right. Just use vsync right and it works.

Ryiah likes this.
  26. Ryiah

Ryiah

Nothing you have said is a fact. Everything you've posted is just anecdotal evidence. Just like my own experiences with Unity 2019.2 which mirror that of everyone aside from you. I always rely on vsync. I never rely on targetFrameRate as it's entirely too unreliable for this purpose thanks to being easily overridden by both the engine itself and the platform.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  27. Murgilod

Murgilod

Then why is it only affecting one user?

28. vamosfa

vamosfa

It is advisable to read the full post before responding:
    "I was experiencing serious problems with Unity 2019.2.16f1: any Build of a scene got the GPU to 100% performance, even if the scene is empty, in any different project.
    So it was advised by other professionals of these issues "

29. Murgilod

Murgilod

Which professionals? Why haven't these professionals reported this problem to the issue tracker, considering it must have been around for four months?

edit: and, most importantly, why can't anyone here reproduce this problem?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  30. neginfinity

neginfinity

They're not wrong.

You are presenting a singular case, and your GPU as far as I can tell, was not destroyed.

Drag those people here and let them describe their situation.

31. vamosfa

vamosfa

XD It is getting into a little boy's conversation, so I will have to explain it as I would to a little boy: there are millions of people living and working outside this website, and outside your pc, real people. Like me, using Unity along 4 years, I have a lot of issues, and I never wrote in Issue tracker, I only use it for fast solution-finding. Like me, these real people do not write in each forum or Issue Tracker, they talk their real problems to other real people to find solutions, and only use webs when the people who personally know can not help them.

Why can not anyone reproduce this problem? Mate, I wasn't here if I knew...But luckily, it is best that others don't suffer it.

I really appreciate the help of all who commented here, and if I could I would close this conversation cause the topic is going far from the original purpose.

Best Regards

32. neginfinity

neginfinity

Name calling is not the best way to get help.

Your situation can be explained by having a 3rd party script that alters scene settings or GPU driver having vSync forcibly disabled. Many GPU drivers offer this kind of functionality. Log the values into text field in an exe and check.

33. Murgilod

Murgilod

Stop being condescending, it's not helping your case, especially in light of ridiculous comments like this:

If you are not going to take the time to report bugs and provide clear steps for reproduction, which you haven't even done in this thread, then you can not make the outlandish claim that Unity 2019.2 needs to be "fixed or destroyed." Why? Because you have not even managed to give a series of steps to reproduce this hyper critical bug you claim exists.

See above.

34. Ryiah

Ryiah

My experience says that when people become condescending with their posts they don't have a good argument to make for their case. If there were "other professionals" we would have heard of it by now. We've had many complaint threads over the years but none of them mention this problem.

35. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I suspect you're exaggerating for effect, but I semi-regularly hear people talking this way believing it's true. So, for the sake of clearing that up: short of a hardware fault your CPU and GPU can happily run at 100% utilisation, often for indefinitely long periods of time. In fact, when optimising a game that's often exactly what you're aiming for.

If your system overheats that can indeed cause damage. However, this is exactly why there are both cooling and thermal throttling systems built in. Unless the hardware is faulty it will detect when it's getting too hot and take steps to manage that, including turning itself down to keep temps in acceptable ranges, or even turning itself off if necessary. Moreover, this stuff has to be handled by the hardware manufacturer - they specifically know their hardware, where software developers often don't know what hardware their code may be deployed on ahead of time.

Chewing up more processing time than you need to should be avoided, of course. But saving your hardware from self destruction isn't one of the reasons.

(Consider: if software really could burn out computer hardware then there'd be viruses and malware which do exactly that, and we'd hear about it somewhat regularly.)

Ryiah likes this.
unityunity