Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Enterprise model of iOS build distribution supported on UCB

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by bac9-flcl, Apr 24, 2015.

1. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

It's not that different from Ad Hoc, I guess, but worth asking just in case - is Unity Cloud Build supporting the Enterprise type of iOS builds? The build type which requires no UDID check to install and requires a special type of developer program to sign, that is.

I have a certain application developed for internal use by a certain client that gets installed to several dozens of their devices. Typically, I have to manually create an iOS build using XCode, extract .ipa using xcodebuild and Terminal, create an HTTP page with itms-services link referencing the plist pointing to the .ipa on Amazon S3 and so on, - fairly repetitive and inconvenient process.

I was wondering if I can use UCB to sidestep all that, simply sending my client a link to an UCB build signed with an enterprise .mobileprovision. After all, it's not that different from giving a UCB link to an Ad Hoc build to testers from your team, only difference is that there is no device list to check download attempts against.

2. Ostwind

Ostwind

Apple has very high requirements and rules for the enterprise program, have you checked em? AFAIK it's not possible for Unity provide such builds cause of those or did you mean using yours if you get one?

For the ad-hoc why haven't you automated the process? its only than less than 10-20 lines of various script code to build and upload iOS app from Unity build button to your hosting service. (edit: this is with your own mac build system)

3. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

I'm aware of those requirements and I work for the studio enrolled in the Enterprise program. I'm already using it on a project for some time, hence my question. And I'm not sure why Unity would need any approval from Apple, - they are not signing the builds with their profiles, after all; mobileprovisions and p12 you provide in the project settings do that. So my question mostly boils down not to Unity obtaining some sort of permission from Apple to do that (the builds aren't that different and should be possible with the current setup), but to smaller details, like whether the site disables UDID check for builds of that type and otherwise handles it correctly.

As about automation, it's possible, but it would simply be more convenient to keep both ad hoc builds for internal use and enterprise builds for the client in the UCB, wouldn't you agree?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  4. Ostwind

Ostwind

Yeah I agree on that and would also assume such scenario is already supported already but might be behind the studio or enterprise plan as I doubt they allow such type app hosting for 3rd parties on lower tiers. However I don't know about it for sure so wont try to suggest anything other than trying it out. AFAIK websites won't do any UDID check but its happening during install attempt from apple to versus the embedded provision profile or the one installed on the device.

5. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

Yeah, I'll try it out as soon as I'll get an up to date mobileprovision from our lead.

As about UDID check I've mentioned, I was not talking about some iOS check performed on install of any build, but about in-browser check Unity Cloud build specifically implemented for ad hoc build users, which removes an option to open the link. It's a UCB feature, not something implemented by Apple, and I guess it's done to prevent users from encountering confusing default behaviour where builds just silently fail to install on incorrect devices. There is no such check in place in a scenario where you distribute your builds manually using your own page, of course. I was just being worried that it might kick in with enterprise builds where there is no device list available.

I'll post the results here if I'll get my hands on the mobileprovision sooner than someone answers, of course. :)

6. David-Berger

David-Berger

Unity Technologies

I can not talk about details, but enterprise signing should work and we used to have people using it. I don't know if this is still the case nor did I hear of any complaints. Give it a go and let us know if you run into problems!

7. sagocloudbuild

sagocloudbuild

We're doing doing this, it works perfectly. You just have to have an enterprise provisioning profile/p12.

David-Berger likes this.