Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Feature Request Is emissive textures planned to be implemented anytime soon?

Discussion in '2D Experimental Preview' started by AlexVillalba, Dec 6, 2020.

1. AlexVillalba

AlexVillalba

Emissive texturing is that kind of basic features that improve the visual aspect of the game by A LOT. It would make the 2D Renderer much more appealing for everybody.
    It would be enough to make emissive pixels not to be affected by 2D lights, I can do the rest in the shader :D

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE :)

Thank you.

(And yes, I'm aware of the tricks some people use to achieve something similar, with bloom and unlit materials, but it cannot be done with LIT materials, the color of the lights mix with the color of the "emissive" pixels)

NotaNaN, rustum and EvOne like this.
  2. castor76

castor76

Indeed, I also been asking for this for very long time... T.T

3. ColossalPaul

ColossalPaul

Unity Technologies

Hi,

Yes, this is on our list. We will get to it asap. In the mean time, can I get some visual references...

Thanks for reaching out.

4. castor76

castor76

Just like how 3D rendering pipeline has its own Emissive channel for lighting, we should have one for 2D.

Say if you have very dark scene set by using 2D lighting, but part of the sprite needs to glow as if it has its own lighting and just output its value on the frame buffer without getting affected by the lighting.

I am not sure if visual reference is necessary, I mean come on... Emissive channel has been around for as long as .. I don't even remember.

I think _EmissiveMap naming could go well along with _NormalMap for secondary channel naming property.

I am already using it as such, and adding emissive value to the color but it is not correct because the color gets affected by the lighting, So the adding the emissive value should just be done after the lighting calculation and that should be it? You don't need another buffer, or anything. Read the emissive value from texture, and then just add emissive value "after" the lighting calculation id done. That is how typically emissive masked materials are done for 3D?

5. AlexVillalba

AlexVillalba

6. enhawk

enhawk

is it possible to edit the default shader with an unlit pass?

Good examples would be a 1px red dot light on an off switch, you'd want this to be unlit while the rest of the switch graphic is affected by lights