Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Is collaborate abandoned?

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by Marc-Saubion, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

Hi

Does anybody know if Unity intends to finish collaborate? The service is still missing basic key features and it's quality went down since it stopped being free. I tried to be supportive but it's been six months and with my business expanding I need a professional product.

I checked the roadmap and don't see anything going soon so I'm looking for advice on what to do next and recommandations for alternatives.

Thanks.

AcidArrow likes this.
  2. UnityScottS

UnityScottS

Unity Technologies

Hello and thank you for your honest feedback. The Collaborate team has been a little quiet as of late, but we’ve been working hard on making some changes to help the stability and reliability of Collaborate while we expand what it can do.

Currently, we have been focusing on infrastructure improvements to make Collaborate more performant and reliable which includes adding better region support. It's also very important to us to be able to release improvements quicker, and to that end we have been moving Collaborate to the new Package Manager system. These items will create a great foundation for our team to move forward and iterate faster on features and fixes.

In parallel with the work above (which we are targeting for the 2018.3 time frame), we are in the planning phase of some really awesome features and improvements. These features include source control related functionality (such as merging and branching) but also editor improvements aimed to help teams work together seamlessly. We are hoping to have more to share in this area next month.

Our mission is that Collaborate will help people work together seamlessly across the Unity Editor and Developer Dashboard. We’d love to have your feedback on features and what ideas you might have. You can leave that feedback here or add it to this forum thread.

Scott Simpson
    Dev Manager for Collaborate