Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Collab broken?

Discussion in '2021.2 Beta' started by sk0g, Jul 9, 2021.

1. sk0g

sk0g

So boot up unity, 1900+ changes detected. Commit, 300+ changes remaining. Commit, 10 changes remaining. Commit, 0 changes remaining. Go to the change tab, and I've just committed 0 changes 4 times. Weird.

Boot up unity again, 1900+ changes...

I can't be sure if the project is fully backed up or not! Is something wrong with Collab in this beta?

When I invited a friend to work on the game with me, he ran into lots of issues, mainly from missing assembly directives or something of that sort (CS0246). When I cloned the project on the other computer as well, same thing happened to me.

Best I can guess is Collab is acting super weird now for whatever reason, anyone successfully using Collab in this alpha/beta? With Apple Silicon?

Attaching photo to show the resultant history tab for a fresh URP template project with a single asset pack pulled in (Feel).

upload_2021-7-9_22-6-3.png

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I don't think anyone is using Collaborate successfully anywhere.
    Are you using normal Unity builds from the Hub, or did you download the Silicon specific versions?

3. sk0g

sk0g

Apple Silicon builds, but launched from the hub.

We tried another prototype in 2021.1.x, and it was actually working pretty well! I wanted to skip to 2021.2 for the apple silicon support however.

4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

5. JoNax97

JoNax97

BTW, if you want your project to be safe and sleep easy at night, I recommend you drop Collaborate ASAP and start using git, plastic, perforce or whatever version control technology you fancy.

Collaborate is truly in shambles and will never improve in any significant capacity.

sk0g likes this.
  6. sk0g

sk0g

Yeah I figured Colab was the issue when I removed all Colab stuff and just put the project on a private Git repo. After a long initial import, all worked fine on the other end.

It's a shame, Colab is really smooth from the UX perspective, but obviously not worth the pain if it's just broken to start off with.

JoNax97 likes this.