Search Unity

1. We are migrating the Unity Forums to Unity Discussions by the end of July. Read our announcement for more information and let us know if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Is Blackberry Dead?

Discussion in 'BlackBerry' started by kenlem, Sep 23, 2013.

1. kenlem

kenlem

Is there any point to deploying games on the Blackberry story anymore now that they have had huge layoffs?

2. zezba9000

zezba9000

Your avatar makes me think you're the BB10 grim reaper waiting to take its soul... is this way you ask??
    ;)

3. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

There's still a lot of love for Blackberry. The Z10 hasn't sold in the numbers BB hoped, but that might mean the cost comes down, might even be a bargain. If the gaming community abandons BB then that will make problems for them worse. So, I'd say, see this as an opportunity, ships some great games, and get gamers interested in the platform.

4. kenlem

kenlem

I have 1 game on the Blackberry store and the sales are minor to non-existent. It's almost impossible to find anything in Blackberry App Store because the interface is awful. The store itself is flooded with rotten apps mostly by the same developer.

http://readwrite.com/2013/08/21/bla...e-apps-by-one-developer#awesm=~oimvohvslLgBZN

I understand Blackberry needs game developer support but developers need to be aware of what the reality is.

5. EvilDingo

EvilDingo

My games have done well on Blackberry. Since it's so easy to support Blackberry as a target, I plan on continuing to develop for it.

6. nemoryoliver

nemoryoliver

Man. it's not dead. In fact it's ecosystem is getting better now. I see some developers earning a lot with BB10 World Store.

7. WurrealGames

WurrealGames

I know this is a bit of a late reply, but I'd say it is definitely worth continuing to develop games for BlackBerry.

1. By using Unity, the work to release on BlackBerry is minimal.
    2. BlackBerry folks, in my experience, have been very helpful and the process is relatively painless.
    3. The speculation about BlackBerry's future may mean less competition for now, which is great for those willing to make the effort.
    4. Even supposing that BlackBerry disappears down the road, you can still capture the interest of those BlackBerry users in the meantime. Should the day ever come, they will need to go to another smart phone manufacturer and if they wanted your game on BlackBerry, they'll be looking for it for any new phone that they get (meaning another sale, perhaps). So it makes sense to get them now when you might have more visibility.

Besides, I'm hoping they'll recover fully; more competition is better. Apple was once pretty much dead in the 90s and they've done all right since then. ;)

Anyway, that's my take on it. I hope it helps in some small way.

8. PBernhardt

PBernhardt

There is a big opportunity for good games on the platform. It's not so crowded that you will simply get lost in the noise.

This is ESPECIALLY the case for gamepad enabled games. If you build a good one of those and get it on our platform, you are looking at some prime feature placement. People ask me all the time which gamepad games I can recommend, and I am always looking for more (if you have one, tell me!)

Oh, we are also giving out free gamepads to developers: http://devblog.blackberry.com/2013/09/gamepad-support-rewards/

9. WaterlooErik

WaterlooErik

Our offer for Built For BlackBerry pre-screening still stands as well!

@kenlem, have you applied for that program already by chance? If not, fire me a message if you like and we can provide feedback on how to get Built For BlackBerry status which goes a long way in increasing your exposure within the storefront. Even if you're not considering making changes, let us at least provide the feedback. Who knows, you may be very close already Combined with the Gamepad category that Paul mentioned, there's a lot of opportunity to stand out.

Of course, same offer is on the table for any Unity (and non-Unity) game devs looking at BlackBerry.

10. EvilDingo

EvilDingo

I'm very interested in getting gamepad support for my game, but I've hit a lot of snags in the implementation. My MOGA Pro connects properly to my Z10, but Unity detects it as a SteelSeriesFREE. That wouldn't a big issue, I thought, but there are all kinds of problems. Initially, I followed these instructions: http://devblog.blackberry.com/2013/06/blackberry10-gamepad-unity3d/

But the button and axis mappings are not right. There is no Joystick1Button0 mapping on my controller. It's all over the place. The first axis is correct, the second one is present but not the axis you'd expect (it's 3rd and 5th or something like that in the Input Manager). None of the buttons are mapped as they are shown there, and some buttons aren't available at all. On the MOGA, the trigger buttons (which I believe are an axis on this controller) aren't mapped at all and useless. The select button isn't useable, and the digital pad only registers X axis and not Y. There are other issues too: The neutral position of the stick registers as -1 which causes a huge problem. It also reverses the analog movement of the controller. For example, pressing slightly left registers as pressing nearly all the way left and pressing all the way left registers as barely moving left.

Despite all of that, I actually have it running respectably well on the MOGA Pro until I had this epiphany: This is the only controller that's going to work with my game. So I've shelved it until I can get at least a SteelSeriesFREE to see if it's correct or equally broken. Equally broken would actually be a relief because at least then it would act in the same manner.

11. dberroa

dberroa

I would like to add that I also just got the gamepads from the offer, and the names for the buttons listed on that page do not work. I can not get anything other than the left joystick to work in my game.

12. EvilDingo

EvilDingo

deberroa - Use their GetKeyDown code from the link in my previous message. Except, change it from GetKeyDown to GetKey. Get the string of the button. You'll find that they don't match documentation, but you can still use some of them. Some just don't work. Enough work to get a game playable with a bit of work.

Can you verify if the SteelSeries is the same as the MOGA Pro? If it is, I'll push ahead with what I have and clean it up when Unity fixes the gamepad Input on Blackberry.

13. WaterlooErik

WaterlooErik

Hi guys, I posted some info from a project I'm working on here:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/20...l-promotion!?p=1402137&viewfull=1#post1402137

It's a bit of a longer post but I didn't want to leave anything out. Do let me know if you have any questions.

EvilDingo, in my experience both the Moga Pro and SteelSeries Free have been working identically. I'm happy to test any BAR files that you send along though. One thing to note is that each controller is in the correct mode (Moga Pro - Mode B, SteelSeries Free - Gamepad Mode / Double-Blink.)

14. EvilDingo

EvilDingo

Hi Erik,

Sure, I can send you my .bar file. Send me a message on where / how to send it. The MOGA Pro is in mode B.

15. sumitsharma

sumitsharma

No it is not dead whatsoever, Today also lot of people and me too included use BBM. I think it is one of the best messenger on the phones.