Search Unity

is baking at all usable?

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by laurentlavigne, Jan 26, 2020.

1. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

19.3 i can't get cpu or gpu baking to work realiably, it paints the walls with hyper bright lights or it makes blotches everywhere with non overlapping uv oh and with recorder it turns lighting into a mess

So what do you guys use instead or is there a way to cajole this thing into working?

Beast™ I miss you man!

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I find it pretty usable. You should post settings and scenes so we can diagnose.

3. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

here:
    upload_2020-1-26_13-50-6.png
    and today it won't do gpu, it snaps back to cpu

4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Lightmap Size of 4096 is way too much for GPU baking, it's probably running out of VRAM. Stick to 1024.

5. JenniferNordwall

JenniferNordwall

Unity Technologies

Try turning of prioritize view, since that might change how we handle the memory. And sometimes it can help to have a really low end gfx card that you run the screens and editor on, and let the better one handle the baking. It worked for me and the team. Let us know if you need more help :)

6. bluescrn

bluescrn

Stick to CPU baking, and ensure that 'double-sided GI' is enabled on your materials if you're getting blocky/incomplete-looking bakes

laurentlavigne likes this.
  7. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

winner! yep gpu baking is preview for a reason, I reduced the map resolution like crazy so cpu baking is fast, how do i reserve 1 core for the editor though, it stutters a lot when baking

8. Bordeaux_Fox

Bordeaux_Fox

Yes, 4k lightmaps with GPU lightmapper are out of the question if you don't have a lot, a lot, a lot of VRAM.
    Example: Small scene, lightmap resolution of 1024px, that is what you get at maximum with a RTX 2060. So now compare that to your device.

9. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

I look at the task manager and see that vram usage doesn't change much during baking so I'd like to know more, mainly what's the arithmetic to determine vram usage based on scene size and lightmap size.
    20.1 seems more reliable at baking with gpu, 19.3 is moody

10. JenniferNordwall

JenniferNordwall

Unity Technologies

Please turn of "Prioritize view" as that can also sometimes make it worse for the GPU lightmapper. And yes, 20.1 is a lot better for the GPU lightmapper since we have done a lot of improvements :)