Search Unity

1. We are migrating the Unity Forums to Unity Discussions by the end of July. Read our announcement for more information and let us know if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Question Is anyone else getting terrible VR performance with 2022 LTS? (FIXED??)

Discussion in 'VR' started by nalex66, Jun 8, 2023.

1. DevDunk

DevDunk

If you can prove it downgraded between versions, and you checked URP settings like depth priming, prepass, soft shadows, etc, make a bug report.
    And dive into the profiler to find out more

2. LeftoverAtoms

LeftoverAtoms

Anytime I've enabled MSAA in either version, it destroyed my framerate, best to disable it.

3. DevDunk

DevDunk

Best not to disable MSAA for VR tbh. Enable force prepass and update Unity. It's usually an incompatibility between settings, where MSAA is often more important than that setting

4. nalex66

nalex66

The bug tracker says it's fixed, but I still sometimes have issues--lately performance has been consistently bad (only in the editor; as always, the Android build works fine). I've reduced my Meta Link resolution to default, which helps.

5. DevDunk

DevDunk

You can profile the editor if the issue is there. Share your findings if you find something :p
    Maybe your PC isn't happy with running VR
    The issue tracker was about runtime performance.

6. KCGames47

KCGames47

Switched from 2021 to 2023, same issue fps went down to 40 compared to 68 on 2021… i guess every year it’s gonna get worse :) I’m tired of this

7. DevDunk

DevDunk

Did you check the new settings and file a bug report?
    Where did the change come from in the profiler?

8. VR_Unity_Account

VR_Unity_Account

This is occurring for us as well.

We just moved our project to 2022.3.21. Our in-editor performance is atrocious with lag spikes and lag that was not there before in 2020.3.26. This occurs using both Quest 2 (with Link) as well as PCVR headsets such as Index. This happens with multiple developers on different machines.

Are there any current solutions?

9. DevDunk

DevDunk

Profile where it is from and fix it, and if it is unsolvable, filing a bug report.

Usually it is a new feature which is enabled by default, or a setting which is reset.
    For example force prepass or depth after transparent can really help with performance

10. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

good to see everyone suffer, i thought i had to upgrade to 2020.3.46 which runs super smoothly
    seems like I do :D

you guys happy with your upgrade to 2021?

11. ronjart

ronjart

Same issue. Turning MSAA off works as a temporary fix

12. jeffries7

jeffries7

Are there any version of 2022 that people recommend? I see lots of people having issues, which version have you all settled on?

13. DevDunk

DevDunk

I keep using the latest and haven't had any issues since 2022.3.18 or so

jeffries7 likes this.
  14. Ikaro88

Ikaro88

I have noticed a similar issue updating the project from 2020.3.39 to 2022.3.29, any way to solve it?

15. sirleto

sirleto

Just a wild idea:
    maybe shadows are done differently with MSAA?

Or maybe not, and thus much higher internal Res maybe results in more/different shadow cascades, etc?

Maybe many light sources are casting shadows and the costs increase fourfold with MSAA?

16. simon_unity757

simon_unity757

Same here on 2022.3.20f1. Recently upgraded our project to 2022 and we all notciced a huge performance impact in Play Mode. App runs fine in headset. Turning off MSAA when testing in Editor does seem to be the easiest (and most efficient) workaround.

17. DevDunk

DevDunk

Submit a bug report for it and check the profiler

18. secret_portal_mike

secret_portal_mike

hey all, I was getting really bad editor performance with Quest as well, and solved it by switching my platform to PC when testing in the editor. When its Android (which never mattered in the past), performance tanks (but doesnt show up in the profiler...)

19. DevDunk

DevDunk

This is because it uses android compression when using that build target. PC doesn't support that, so textures are uncompressed taking up a ton of GPU memory (and falling back to CPU or SSD when not enough)