Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Question Is anyone else getting terrible VR performance with 2022 LTS? (FIXED??)

Discussion in 'VR' started by nalex66, Jun 8, 2023.

1. nalex66

nalex66

I've been trying to switch my project from 2021 LTS (latest version) to 2022 LTS. I've tried both 2022.3.0 and 2022.3.1, and in both cases I just can't get decent VR performance in the editor. My project runs smoothly in 2021, but can't maintain 72 fps on a RTX3080T1 with 2022.

I tried a build with 2022.3.0 (Android APK for Quest 2), and the build performed worse than 2021--more unstable framerate, occasional framerate drops for sustained periods of time, and generally worse GPU performance, often running at level 4 rather than 3 or 2, and higher GPU utilization (often in the 90% range rather than in the 70's where the 2021 version usually runs).

I haven't tried a 2022.3.1 build yet (ran into some other problems that ate up a few days of time), but at this point I'm questioning whether it makes sense to keep trying to make this work well.

Edit: I did a build in 2022.3.1; it performs better than 2022.3.0, and close to 2021 LTS, but still seems to drop frames more often. In-editor, VR performance remains dreadful.

Edit: The problem is MSAA. 2021 LTS handles it fine, but 2022 LTS can't handle MSAA in editor play mode with a VR headset active.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2023
  2. glenneroo

glenneroo

Definitely submit a (minimal if possible) bug report. This is a hot topic and there is AFAIK at least one open bug report regarding 2022 performance with Oculus/Android.

DevDunk likes this.
  3. nalex66

nalex66

Submitted. I didn't send my project files, but described the issue. I had hoped to include a screenshot showing the framerate in the OVRMetrics HUD, but unfortunately the HUD didn't show up in the shot.

4. nalex66

nalex66

It doesn't even have to be a heavy scene, here's the performance in my main menu scene, with nothing loaded but the VR rig, my skinned mesh hands, and a UI canvas:

2022.3.1 Empty Menu Scene VR Performance.jpg

The framerate jumps around between 35 and 72.

AldeRoberge likes this.
  5. nalex66

nalex66

Here's a comparison of 2021 vs 2022 editor VR performance. You can see that 2021 is nice and stable, while 2022 is all over the place.

Attached Files:

6. nalex66

nalex66

I've traced the problem to the MSAA setting in the Universal Render Pipeline Asset. In 2021 LTS, I use 4x MSAA as recommended by Oculus. It runs fine in play mode in the editor, and in my stand-alone build. In 2022 LTS, 4x MSAA works in my build, but in the editor play mode it doesn't (see performance graph in my previous post).

If my headset is turned off, I get over 400 fps in play mode with MSAAx4 enabled. As soon as the VR headset is active, framerate plummets, frame times double, and GPU headroom jumps all over the place.

Edit: I've found that I can improve the situation by lowering my Oculus Link resolution. So, to match the performance of the 2021 editor in VR play mode, I must sacrifice either Link resolution or MSAA, although my system is perfectly capable of handling both (as evidenced by the 2021 editor not having this problem).

Note: Lowering Link resolution to Default doesn't fix the issue completely, but makes it bearable (fps is still not always 72, but hovers in the 60s, and GPU headroom jumps around but stays positive). With MSAA disabled, fps is locked to 72, and GPU headroom is steady at around 88%.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2023
    AldeRoberge likes this.
  7. DevDunk

DevDunk

Then they are probably not going to do much. There is already 1 issue on the tracker for this.
    But there are multiple causes of performance issues, so to fix them all they need reproduction projects.

This seems more of a VR vs desktop issue than msaa. Or is the performance still high without it?
    Also know that VR caps your fps to the hmd max

8. nalex66

nalex66

They don’t need my project, I can reproduce the issue with an empty scene (In a new URP project with an XR rig). Without the VR headset, I press play and get over 400 fps. Running through the headset (in editor play mode), I get 72 fps (as expected, this the framerate Oculus Link is set to), with over 90% GPU headroom. If I turn on 4x MSAA in the render pipeline, suddenly I’m getting wildly variable framerate (30 to 65), and negative GPU headroom.

This isn’t about VR versus desktop, this is strictly about 2022 editor play mode VR performance versus 2021 editor play mode VR performance.
    - The stand-alone APK built from either version of Unity handles 4x MSAA without issue.
    - Both 2021 and 2022 editors handle 4x MSAA without issue in play mode without the headset.
    - Both 2021 and 2022 editors perform the same in the headset (editor VR play mode) without MSAA.
    - 2021 handles 4x MSAA in editor VR play mode without issue (still get 80 to 90% GPU headroom).

2022 does not behave the same way as 2021. With MSAA enabled, it fails to reach 72 fps, and headroom is all over the place (see the comparative performance images I posted above).

I found I can improve the situation by reducing my Oculus Link resolution, so that’s the solution I’m going with for now, rather than having to turn MSAA on and off to work in the editor or compile a build. But there is most definitely an issue in the 2022 LTS editor that tanks play mode performance in VR, and this issue does not exist in 2021 LTS.

9. nalex66

nalex66

I've uploaded a project with an empty scene (containing a VR rig) to my bug report, along with instructions to reproduce the issue.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2023
    DevDunk and glenneroo like this.
  10. thep3000

thep3000

Unity Technologies

Can you post or DM the bug #s? we'll get some eyes on them. (IN-#####)

glenneroo and nalex66 like this.
  11. nalex66

nalex66

IN-43378 is my incident number from the Bug Reporting Portal.

glenneroo and DevDunk like this.
  12. nalex66

nalex66

My issue got closed as a duplicate of UUM-40249, but that report says that the issue only happens with Screen-Space Ambient Occlusion enabled, which I'm not using. I tried to add a comment to that issue, but I just keep getting errors from the Unity Issue Tracker page.

Edit: just got another email that my issue has been re-opened. (Maybe automatic because I commented on it?)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2023
    AldeRoberge likes this.
  13. DevDunk

DevDunk

Yes it gets reopened automatically. Are you sure the android quality tier doesn't use it? PC and android presets are different.

My big performance issue got closed since performance is because of better soft shadow quality, so will be testing next month

14. Mithra

Mithra

I have the same issue with Desktop VR (using HTC Vive with SteamVR).

My project runs at a stable 90 FPS in 2021.3.23, upgrading it to 2022.3.0 makes it unusuable in Play mode (FPS can go down to 17 FPS or worse).
    It seems to happen when I have both the scene and game views at the same time, but I'm still trying to find a way to reproduce it without sending my entire project.

15. Unifikation

Unifikation

If you close all inspectors and deselect all objects, and then close the Animation panels and all other panels, console included, so you only have the Game View, there's some redemption of performance. It shouldn't be necessary to do this, but it is. The new UI system in the Editor is getting progressively worse in terms of performance, with each "update".

Separately, the MSAA performance has fluctuated for the entire time I've been using Unity, from one major point release to another. Latest releases the worst so far, in the Editor. 2019.1 was probably the best, along with 2018.2

Oddly, Unity never mentions anything about what they're doing with regards MSAA from one version to another.

AldeRoberge likes this.
  16. nalex66

nalex66

Just saw that 2022.3.2 was out, so I tried it, but no improvement. The QA guy who looked at my report said he couldn't replicate the issue in the empty scene I uploaded, and asked for a shot of my for my profiler window, which I've uploaded to the bug report (with and without 4x MSAA):

Unity2022_4xMSAA.jpg Unity2022_no_MSAA.jpg

The same empty scene test conducted with 2021 LTS (with or without 4x MSAA) performs the same as the "no MSAA" 2022 test.

17. Unifikation

Unifikation

Those equally spaced spikes, in an empty scene... that's a weird thing. Seems like there's a polyrhythm time problem between two different syncs.

18. nalex66

nalex66

Small update: QA came back to me with questions about graphics API. I told them I was using OpenGLES3 (building for Android). On a whim I tried switching my platform to Windows, and found that I don't get the performance problem in the editor under D3D11 with the empty scene.

Unfortunately, when I try running my project with Windows as the target platform, I still get poor performance in the editor in VR (not as bad as OpenGLES3, but still not hitting 72 fps).

19. DevDunk

DevDunk

Your PC is probably a lot faster than your quest 2, explaining the performance increase from testing on PC

20. nalex66

nalex66

You misunderstand the situation (again). The problem is that performance is WORSE when testing on PC than on the Quest 2 under Unity 2022 LTS.

There is NO performance problem with the stand-alone build that runs on the Quest 2. The performance problem happens when the app is running ON THE PC, in editor play mode, in VR via Oculus Link (PCVR software). That problem doesn't happen with 2021 LTS in the same scenario, just with 2022 LTS.

When the player is set to Android as the target platform (graphics API OpenGLES3), editor play mode in VR is terrible. When I switch the target platform to Windows, the graphics API switches to D3D11, which performs better in editor play mode (in VR, but running on the PC), but still struggles compared to 2021 LTS.

All of this is about how VR runs in editor play mode on the PC, with Unity 2022 LTS struggling to match the performance of Unity 2021 LTS if MSAA is enabled. With MSAA disabled, 2022 runs just like 2021 - without a hitch, which is to be expected, given I'm running the app on a RTX 3080 Ti.

My app is performant on the Quest 2 with MSAA enabled, and shouldn't have any trouble running on the PC (as evidenced by it performing well on Unity 2021). 2022 LTS runs it at 400 fps without VR active, but has frame timing problems as soon as PCVR mode is active.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2023
    AldeRoberge and Unifikation like this.
  21. DevDunk

DevDunk

Sorry for trying to help(again).
    Changing the target platform does not run the editor at a different graphics API. You can see the active api in the top bar.
    It might change graphics tiers however. The previous pico sdk changed it to the highest tier when switching platforms for example (not sure if that's fixed), which could enable stuff like SSAO.
    There might be some other changes under the hood, which could indeed be a bug.

22. nalex66

nalex66

I don't know what to tell you, but switching the empty scene's target platform from Android to Windows did very much change the way it ran in the editor. In both cases, the graphics tier was 3, the quality setting was High Fidelity, and I didn't see any obvious differences in active features.

With D3D11 as the target graphics API, the target framerate was achieved, with plenty of GPU headroom to spare. With OpenGLES3 as the graphics API of the target platform, framerate was all over the place (30 to 72), and GPU headroom regularly went into negative numbers.

Are you sure that Unity doesn't run in the editor with the graphics API of the build settings? Because when I tried switching to OpenGLES3 with Windows as the target platform, I had to restart the editor. That seems like it is loading a different graphics API. Furthermore, the other bug report that they've connected to mine indicates that they've replicated it with both D3D11 and Vulkan. For an in-editor performance problem. Since they also asked me which graphics API I was using, it does seem to be relevant to the issue at hand.

23. DevDunk

DevDunk

When switching the API for desktop it switches what the editor runs in yes, but switching target platform should not change it.
    I've never used GLES (or even OpenGLCore for that matter) on PC, and it's also not made for that. It's made for mobile games. For desktop VR use dx11 (or in 2022.3 with OpenXR feel free to try dx12)

24. nalex66

nalex66

I’m developing for mobile (Quest) VR, not desktop VR, which is why my target platform is Android OpenGLES. I only tried switching target platform because the QA guy asked about which graphics API I’m using, and because I’d like to get to the bottom of this bug so I can commit to switching to 2022 LTS.

People developing for PCVR are also experiencing this editor play mode bug, but with Windows as the target platform (D3D11 as the graphics API), they only see it when both MSAA and Screen Space Ambient Occlusion are active. With Android as the target platform, I’m seeing the same bug but without SSAO enabled. (I was going to post the bug page, but the issue tracker site is a pig to search, so I’ll grab the issue number when I’m on my PC shortly.)

Edit: This is the related bug.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2023
  25. nalex66

nalex66

Just tested 2022.3.4. Performance is a little better--more consistent GPU headroom, hovering around 60% with fewer negative spikes, but frame rate is still low (36 fps, half of the target 72).

Still doesn't compare to 2021 LTS, which maintains 87-90% GPU headroom and 72 fps with MSAA enabled. As before, turning off MSAA makes 2022 LTS run as well as 2021 LTS.

Oh well, maybe next update.

AldeRoberge and Unifikation like this.
  26. DevDunk

DevDunk

If you see a regression and checked all the settings (like soft shadows being on low quality), file a bug report so it can actually be fixed

27. Unifikation

Unifikation

Bug reports don't ensure things get fixed. They merely provide a means for others (like you) to attempt justifying them not getting fixed.

This is the kind of regression that's so wholesale, so obvious, that it shouldn't have passed Unity's internal testing. The problem is not with the behaviours of users.

28. DevDunk

DevDunk

Not all bug report get a proper fix, but some do. They do help.
    In some of my test projects I get the same performance between unity versions, and in some I don't, so it's not impossible that regressions that happen over time go unnoticed (the big differences are definitely bad yeah). The team explicitly asked to make reports with performance issues for VR so they have more reproduction cases.
    If you already gone through the process of making the project and benchmarking, making a report isn't too much more time, while having the possibility of helping many

29. nalex66

nalex66

As you can see from reading this thread, I already have an active bug report on this issue, and I regularly update it with new information like this. I also update this thread for the benefit of anyone else who might be following it and waiting for a fix or any new information.

I've also linked in this thread to another similar bug in the issue tracker. Unity is already well aware of this regression, which has apparently existed since before 2022 went LTS (and also exists in Unity 2023).

Although the issue tracker doesn't yet list a fix, it also doesn't mention the two latest updates of 2022 among the builds that it is reproducible on, so I just keep checking new updates of 2022 LTS to see if it has been fixed yet.

Arnold_2013 and DevDunk like this.
  30. DevDunk

DevDunk

Sorry, totally missed that. Looking in too many threads at once

31. Unifikation

Unifikation

These seemingly anti-aliasing based issues aren't peculiar to VR, hence my following of this thread.

Unity knows and, seemingly, uses the bug reporting "requirement" to forego faster actioning of QA - FIXIT loops of their own, that should be picking up these kinds of things.

Performance regressions in a game engine simply shouldn't happen. Everything should be done to ensure performance only ever improves.

ChescoRed, AcidArrow and DevDunk like this.
  32. Freakish

Freakish

I've reported the same spike in XRBeginFrame here:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/massive-performance-spikes.1448989/#post-9087535

The issue from PCVR performance is coming from v54 firmware update on the Quest2, which has a significant performance issue (apparently network/wifi related).

This is known by Meta, the v55 firmware which is being rolled out, apparently helps, but may not fix it completely.

I have not yet received the update to try.

There is a 30 page thread on the Meta forums describing the issues with PCVR:
    https://communityforums.atmeta.com/...gs-and-stutters-after-V54-update/td-p/1053776

There are also plenty of other threads on Reddit and SteamVR forums reporting the same issues. It doesn't seem to be specific to Unity.

33. nalex66

nalex66

I've wondered if it's related to that Link issue, but it doesn't happen in Unity 2021 (and I don't have any Link issues with any other software). My Quest and PC app are on v55 already--I'm in the Quest PTC, so I've had v55 for a while, and it didn't change anything for this Unity editor issue.

I was chatting with a Meta guy about the hotfix they're rolling out separately from v55 that fixes some Link issues--it helps with apps that are very sensitive to latency, and it got me thinking about those regularly timed spikes on my profiler. I think I should have already had that hotfix when I tested 2022.3.4 yesterday though (it's already in full release for everyone on v54 or v55, and activates the next time they reboot their headset).

Unifikation likes this.
  34. Freakish

Freakish

Yeah, I noticed some improvement after a minor v54 update, but still have not received v55 to see if it's gone completely.

But the issue fits, if you are only seeing the issue while in the editor with PCVR, and not in your oculus builds.

I too thought the issue was a newer version of Unity, but when I went back and tried previously compiled PCVR builds from older versions, they too were exhibiting the issue, which is when I started to poke around the SteamVR/Meta forums to see that others were all reporting the same thing after a v54 update.

As you mentioned there seems to be multiple firmware updates, Most say v55 has fixed it for them, and others are saying it's no different. So I think some issues still exist, their seems to be many versions of the firmware with the last few digits different for some.

I will profile again as soon as I receive the update to see if it's improved, but it's stopped me from working on my project for the last two weeks, as it's just unusable as it is with those spikes.

I had been profiling the days previous to this and XRFrameBegin had never shown up, then boom it was 100ms spikes, if there was any head movement or locomotion.

Keep the thread posted if you see any improvements, I will too.

35. nalex66

nalex66

I tried to stick with 2022, but it was too detrimental to my workflow, so I’ve gone back to my 2021 build and I’m continuing development there for now. I keep a copy of my project that I converted to 2022 for testing whenever a new 2022 update comes out, but I’ll have to redo the conversion from my current 2021 project once the bug is finally fixed. That’s a bit unfortunate, because there was a lot of cleanup to do after switching to the new Nav system.

Unifikation likes this.
  36. nalex66

nalex66

I just heard back from QA, they’ve closed my bug report and let me know that a fix is coming. Don’t yet know which update will have it, but they’ll let me know when that’s determined. They’ve lumped mine in with the bug I linked earlier on the issue tracker site, but it hasn’t yet been updated with any information about the fix.

37. UL_MattFiler

UL_MattFiler

Is there a place to track this? We've been able to reproduce the problem in our project too after updating to 2022.3.4 (was fine in 2021 and 2020). Confirmed turning off MSAA fixes it.

38. nalex66

nalex66

You can track it in the Unity Issue Tracker--the related bug that my issue got lumped in with, anyway (here). There is a fix in review for 2022.3.8f1, so hopefully in a few weeks this issue will be resolved. I'll be trying 2022 again at that point to see if it really is fixed for my use-case, and if so, then I'll migrate my project over again.

Unifikation likes this.
  39. nalex66

nalex66

Well, the issue tracker says this is fixed in 2022.3.8, but I just tested it, and I still get terrible editor play mode performance with MSAA enabled.

Unifikation likes this.
  40. nalex66

nalex66

Just saw that 2022.3.9 was out, so I thought I'd test it again... and it seems to be fixed! I'm getting occasional frame drops (from 72 to 68), but performance headroom is mostly staying up in the 70-80% range and it feels much smoother to test in VR in the editor.

Okay, well I guess my day will be spent transferring the current version of my project over from 2021 to 2022.

DevDunk likes this.
  41. nalex66

nalex66

Arrgghh!! After spending a few hours converting and cleaning up my project, I just tested again and the problem is back. I can still make performance go back to normal in the editor by turning off MSAA, so it seems to be the same issue as before.

Now I don't know what to do--the conversion to 2022 and the new AI Navigation package creates unwanted overrides on thousands of pieces of level geometry, so I have to go through all of them and revert back to the updated prefabs, while being careful not to wipe out any intended overrides that exist in the levels. I've already done all this once before, when I originally converted to 2022 before I found the performance problem--that's the project I've been used to test new releases of 2022. But since then, I've progressed my project a lot in 2021, and I'm halfway through doing it all again.

I guess I'll repeat this morning's test on the old 2022 conversion and see if I can find any difference between that one and my current version that might indicate why the performance isn't consistent.

Edit: It looks like when I tested 2022.3.9 earlier on the old version of my project, the platform was set to Windows. When I switched it back to Android, the performance was back in the toilet.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2023
  42. nalex66

nalex66

I'm so confused... After redoing all that work cleaning up my level geometry again, I decided to stick with 2022 and live with the performance problem, by either turning off MSAA or setting the platform to Windows for in-editor testing.

Today after finishing the cleanup and re-baking my lightmaps, I fired it up to test, and was getting good performance. I verified that I'm set to Android and have MSAA enabled. I retested my older 2022 version too, and it's also running well. The only thing that changed since yesterday was a video card driver update.

This is strange, and I'm not convinced that the problem won't return again, but I'm going to move forward with 2022 and hope that the issue really is fixed.

43. bdeschryver

bdeschryver

Hey @nalex66 ,

I read this forum thread carefully as I had also issues with Quest 3 android build with very bad performance (migrating projects from Unity 2022.1 to 2022.3.11 LTS).
    I finally could pinpoint that I did not check "auto graphics API". If this is ticked, then performance is fine.
    Not understanding why still. When it is not ticked, then I use openGLES 3.
    Maybe in auto mode, Vulkan is selected ?

44. DevDunk

DevDunk

Check the logcat logs to see which one is used and maybe file a bug report for the performance difference.

Over time vulkan should perform better, so you can also try just having vulkan active as the api

45. bdeschryver

bdeschryver

Ok I'll do that.
    Can you pinpoint where to look in the logcat ? (as there is a lot of info being generated).

46. DevDunk

DevDunk

If you filter on the application you built it's among the initialization logs. You can filter with the logcat package inside of Unity

47. nalex66

nalex66

I don't see any difference with or without the auto graphics API checked. These days, it's mostly working properly for me, but the Unity editor seems to be very sensitive to timing issues, and the framerate problem still pops up on occasion. In those cases, I need to either restart Unity, or reboot my PC and try again.

48. FuzzyOnion

FuzzyOnion

Thank you for this thread! I'm having the same issue and the workaround of turning off MSAA works.
    Unity 2022.3.17f1 URP with a Quest 3. Using the latest Nvidia Studio Drivers 546.33

Haven't found a way to fix it yet...

Last edited: Jan 16, 2024
  49. DevDunk

DevDunk

Did you try MSAA with depth priming set to force prepass?

50. Javernandez

Javernandez

Any update on this post, im experiencing a similar issue...