Search Unity

Is Animator Culling working?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by CaelumNoctis, Nov 10, 2016.

1. CaelumNoctis

CaelumNoctis

So, I'm just gonna keep asking this until someone actually shows be that Animator Culling is working. There are 0 tutorials and 0 documentation on how to get this function to work.

I've tried it on a bunch of objects but it is not behaving the way I understand it should be.

From what I can tell, if the camera does not see the rendered object it will not update to its animation values, but the Animator will still be on, so that if you move your camera and the object becomes visible again, it will start animating properly. Sounds neat on paper but I can't get it to work in any way.

I've tried Cull Completely on an Animator with a bunch of Image components: Doesn't animate EVER.
    Also tried Cull Completely on an Animator with a bunch of Sprite Renderers: ALWAYS animates.

Both completely disregard whether or not they are within camera range and they don't even behave the same. Am I missing how this is supposed to work or is something wrong? :/

2. CaelumNoctis

CaelumNoctis

bump.

Guess this is a broken feature?

3. ckaroun

ckaroun

I am also confused about how the animator culling works and would like to learn more. In terms of using it with the image script it seems to be all or nothing for me as well. Either it is always animating or not at all ( cull transform update) even though it is on screen and doesn't move from the UI. Maybe the fact that it is a child of the canvas doesn't allow it to be eligible for culling so the image animation never plays. But I had the same thing as you with the sprite renderer always playing even when off screen (and not a child of the canvas.) Maybe the unity gods can shine some light down to us.

4. CaelumNoctis

CaelumNoctis

Hey, ckaroun. I actually got this answered from the Unity guys back when I sent them a bug report instead.

Basically Animation Culling does not work with their UI (so anything using the Canvas Renderer won't work).

There were also some problems with Sprite Renderers which was fixed in Unity 5.5 (allegedly). Also, the Scene View in the editor counts as a regular camera so you can't actually view the objects if you want to see it work. However, if you move away the Game View Camera and the Scene View from the objects you can see in the inspector that the objects stop their animation (e.g. if you are changing z-rotation in an looping animation you can see that it stops if no camera is watching).

Hope that helps. :)