Search Unity

Is allowed to create my own version of the Unity Asset Store on my website?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by z3nth10n, Nov 21, 2019.

1. z3nth10n

z3nth10n

Hi guys,

I want to make a shop on my website for my assets as a marketing strategy. But, I'm allowed to do such thing?

Thanks!

2. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

You are allowed to sell your assets at any store front so why wouldnt it be ok?

z3nth10n likes this.
  3. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Yes, unless you mean literally copying the asset store including branding, design etc. In which case no.

But can you make your own store on your own page with your own design? Absolutely.

z3nth10n likes this.
  4. kdgalla

kdgalla

There are already several companies that sell their products both on the Asset Store and on their own websites.

z3nth10n likes this.
  5. z3nth10n

z3nth10n

Can you share it (by PM if you aren't allowed to do it here).

Actually, I would like to do it, but I don't know if it will be effective, I need to connect it in a way that if somebody buys an asset on my store it will be available on the Unity Asset Store (and vice-versa, but it's easier).

6. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

You will not be able to build a system where people can buy the asset from your store but it be available for download and updates through the Unity Asset Store. If they buy it from your own store, you'll need to provide a means for downloading and updating it yourself.

z3nth10n likes this.
  7. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

No that isnt possible. You can however put asset store widgets I *think* on your page, which will simply mean the asset store page for your asset can be viewed as a preview + clickable url on your page.

z3nth10n likes this.
  8. kdgalla

kdgalla

Some examples that I just happen to remember off the top of my head are:
    Mr. Necturus:
    http://mr-necturus.com/store/
    https://assetstore.unity.com/publishers/290

Protofactor:
    https://protofactor.biz/
    https://assetstore.unity.com/publishers/265

People who use Unity will generally want to buy something on the Asset Store if it's available there, but these companies also have storefronts outside of the Asset Store because they want to sell to a wider market.

z3nth10n likes this.
  9. TonyLi

TonyLi

The Asset Store publisher terms also require that you sell the asset for the same amount. You can't undercut the prices on the Asset Store.

z3nth10n likes this.
  10. iamthwee

iamthwee

One thing to note is exposure, can you guarantee exposure via your website. Seems a little bit redundant except for maybe a benefit in that your own store won't take a unity cut ???

The easiest way to do this would probably use wordpress with a digital e-commerce plugin like woocommerce imo.

11. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Hmm, asset store is always cheaper than cgitrader, turbosquid etc.

z3nth10n likes this.
  12. z3nth10n

z3nth10n

Sorry, I didn't understand (I'm Spanish) what means exposure?

I already thought on this: https://www.opencart.com/ (I will host it on a subdomain)

--------------------------------​

Thanks! Can you attach the part where Unity Asset Store exposes this? (I was thinking to offer a 5% discount as one of my marketing strategies, well, at least I have one remaining strategy: I can skip the two weeks validation process )

-------------------------------- ​

Thanks! In my case I will use it as a marketing strategy (maybe some products can be used by a wider public)

Yes, I know this fact, but I'm not interested on this. Thanks anyway!

Yes, I know that I will need to create a system to import assets into the Editor once a client buy a product, another one to verify payments, etc etc.

13. iamthwee

iamthwee

Exposure means google rankings if you like. Opencart looks decent enough, never used it. A lot of people just use wordpress with a custom theme and woocommerce. Of course there are lots of e-commerce shops out there including making your own with the payment gateway of your choice.

z3nth10n likes this.
  14. z3nth10n

z3nth10n

Personally, I won't use WooComerce (in my case I was running jekyll on Github, and I spend a month of work developing my blog), so OpenCart is a better option for me.

15. iamthwee

iamthwee

16. iamthwee

iamthwee

To be honest it all depends on how customized you want your site to look. If I wanted to go the full distance, I would roll out my own solution but that isn't for everyone.

z3nth10n likes this.
  17. TonyLi

TonyLi

Asset Store Submission Guidelines 2.7.b:

z3nth10n and iamthwee like this.
  18. z3nth10n

z3nth10n

I spent too much time making my blog, so I can't afford this way.

-------------------

Thanks!!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019