Search Unity

is addressable asset upgraded form of asset bundle?

Discussion in 'Asset Bundles' started by HSW2201, Jan 19, 2020.

1. HSW2201

HSW2201

Hi, I'm just a noob trying to make some mod-friendly environment.
    the system I have in mind is like this:
    I have "basic scene" which has all the scripts and cameras etc. to run the game, and it is included in build setting.
    I want to load "external scene" from "/StreamingAssets/maps/" during runtime and merge it with "basic scene".
    "external scene" will only have spawn points(empty gameobjects with no script), custom terrain, 3d models like asteroids, etc. so it don't have any script-related things, and anyone can make their own "external scene" for game level.

I was checking official asset bundle manual but it says "Important note: The AssetBundle Manager is deprecated for Unity versions 2018.2 and higher" "If you use Unity version 2018.2 or higher, see documentation for Addressable Assets." so I'm not sure I should make "external scene" as asset bundle.
    I also tried addressable asset but it just makes me confused, I can't understand how I exactly export scene as addressable asset.

I only need to load some scenes in runtime, should I use assetbundle or addressable asset? is assetbundle deprecated? am I understanding something terribly wrong?

2. Neto_Kokku

Neto_Kokku

• Asset bundles is a low level Unity feature.
    • The Asset Bundle Manager was a C# library to help manage asset bundles in the editor and to assist loading/unloading them during run time.
    • Addressables is a new C# library for managing asset bundles, loading and unloading them at run time. It abstracts away the bundle concept, but still uses bundles under the hood.

tomekkie2 and HSW2201 like this.
  3. HSW2201

HSW2201

so it is ok to go with asset bundle. thanks!

tomekkie2 likes this.