Search Unity

Is a time releated template something desirable?

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by PixelStudioos, Oct 26, 2018.

?

Is this a good idea?

1. Yeah, I would totally use this to either play or improve!!

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. What?? No, don't.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Hm, maybe.. Can you create a basic concept of how it would function?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. PixelStudioos

PixelStudioos

I have looked for a really cool and smooth time related game concept without luck and I have always wondered if it is worth creating. I have previously released a free weapon customization kit and I am considering doing the same type of kit with this too to see what developers will do with it!

What I planned to include in this kit is:

- Everything in the world stops completely except yourself.
    - Heavy physic based. You can shoot but bullets won't travel untill you unfreeze time again
    - Destructable and interactable enviorment. Remove doors by shooting the hinges, drop build site cranes on enemies etc.
    - First person legs and such.
    - Smart movement. Sliding through small gapes and jumping over objects.
    - Fast paced. It should be satisfying to kill in a lot of creative and cool ways.

Now I am a voxel artist when it comes to game design (I love, love the art style) and I will do the same art style within this template. A lot of people don't seem to like it but I will make sure it is easy to customize to one's liking!

(Don't worry, this will not be on UnitZ level.)

I have a few years experience in game development, 3D modelling, design and sound engineering so I have the tools but I don't know if I should spend so much time on a free project that won't be used. I like the process that follows with this so it is not just about the exposure, but still.

Now I know I am not the most effective developer (I can go months untill I notice a question) but I have always wanted something like this so I will surely do everything to complete it. If there is any ideas you want to pitch in, do it!. If I'm about to work on this I want it to be perfect!

2. xVergilx

xVergilx

You've just described my hobbie project, but without sliding and destructable environment.

Bare in mind, doing
    Is a pain in the ass on it's own, as Unity provides 0 time management instruments as is. I highly suggest using something like Chronos, or even writing a fork for it.

Combined with immutable shader source, and things will get complicated reaaally quick.
    If you're not ready to support changes to SpeedTree / other tree shaders, then it's a bummer.
    Or do not have experience in shader coding, I guess it's time to start learning.

In any case. Do it. World needs more 4D games.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  3. PixelStudioos

PixelStudioos

Thank You for the tips! I will keep these things in mind, though I have a different kind of time management system in mind that comes with different set of problems and solutions. Awesome to hear another developer on this idea! :)