Search Unity

Audio Is a Low Latency (< 10ms) Audio App Possible?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Deleted User, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

I am developing an audio app, similar to Voloco, that distorts people's voices in "real time". I have used Unity extensively over the past decade, but I don't know much about real time audio. In my Unity tests so far there is a ~30ms delay between the voice in and and processed sound out. I *think* most of that is due to Unity's Microphone class itself, but not I'm not sure.

In 2020, is it possible to create such a low latency app in Unity? If so, do you have any tips? Would the JUCE plugin help me reduce latency?

Thanks!

2. unitybru

unitybru

Unity Technologies

Hi @MooseMouse, have you seen this thread? It contains tips to reduce latency.
    Also, you might want to consider solutions like Wwise, that are expressly made for cross-platform realtime audio and include audio FX like pitch shift.
    Latency is often an issue that can be fixed with buffer sizes (smaller buffers -> less latency), but your hardware can also affect it (e.g. some old USB1 microphone). When you profile your latency, make sure you are doing so in a Release build because you don't want any Debug logic to slow down your app tests.

I am not familiar with JUCE but it looks interesting!