Search Unity

IronPython in Unity, a good idea?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by frosted, Jan 30, 2014.

1. frosted

frosted

Hey guys,
    I understand that it's possible to embed ironpython
    http://techartsurvival.blogspot.com/2013/12/embedding-ironpython-in-unity-tech-art.html. What I'm wondering is, what are the implications for mobile deployment?

Will this kind of bundle work on iOS? Will there be problems getting deployed on the app store? What about android? What about webplayer?

According to what I've been able to google, it should be technically possible if the build target is FULL 2.0 as opposed to the subset, but the docs also seem to frown on using the full 2.0 runtime, since it adds to startup time and deployment size.

In terms of executing code on the fly at runtime, would it be better to use some kind of dynamic compilation of c#? Or is all of this such a nightmare that I should just do everything remotely possible to avoid it - (ie: make a very limited scripting language out of json or xml)?

Any input is appreciated.

shongololo likes this.
  2. KelsoMRK

KelsoMRK

I don't believe that solution works on mobile and the App Store certainly doesn't allow runtime compilation or loading of additional assemblies.

For WebPlayer (and mobile I believe) you're also going to run into issues with loading remote resources (ie - loading files off the disk).

Funny that you just posted this - I just got IronPython working using that article as one of my references late last night. :)

3. Newb_Ninja

Newb_Ninja

Is this still the case? :/ I'm planning to use it to run moralis functions to get NFT data into my game.

Attached Files: