Search Unity

iRDS - Intelligent Race Driver System Available on Asset Store

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by rhodnius, Mar 18, 2013.

?

What you prefer (features are, Transmission, differential and Engine as separate component)

Poll closed Nov 12, 2019.
  1. Release new physics at it's current state and do new stuff on next releases?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Wait for all the new stuff on physics to be implemented then do the release?

100.0%
  1. alexfeature

alexfeature

Hey Rhod,

It's a happy day for us here...we just bought iRDS :D

PS: Email with details inc.

2. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi alexfeature,

Thanks for your purchase! and welcome to iRDS group!

If you need anything, just send us an email, and we would get back to you asap.

Rhod,

3. eddyjohnson3

eddyjohnson3

Hey Rhod,

I keep exploring iRDS, and now I am trying to get it working with UnityCar Pro. I have set everything up for a race, but when I hit run I get the following errors:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    IRDSPlayerStartRace.Awake () (at Assets/iRDS/Scripts/Main/IRDSPlayerStartRace.cs:30)
    UnityEngine.Object:Instantiate(Object, Vector3, Quaternion)
    IRDSPlaceCars:Awake()

UnassignedReferenceException: The variable c of 'IRDSCarCamera' has not been assigned.
    You probably need to assign the c variable of the IRDSCarCamera script in the inspector.
    UnityEngine.Transform.get_position () (at C:/BuildAgent/work/d3d49558e4d408f4/artifacts/EditorGenerated/UnityEngineTransform.cs:27)
    IRDSCarCamera.initialRaceView ()
    IRDSCarCamera.FixedUpdate ()

I guess I missed something, but I cant figure it out...

4. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi eddyjohnson3,

These errors seems to be related to the camera target, which in this case is null, and this should be caused because you may be using the same iRDS version (full iRDS version as you downloaded from asset store) for using it with UnityCar? if this is the case, this is not allowed, you need to use the correct iRDS package. Look in the folder iRDS/Other Physics AI/iRDS UnityCar V1.09.1.3.3.unitypackage and check that you are using this package instead.

Let us know if this solve the issue,

Rhod,

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  5. eddyjohnson3

eddyjohnson3

thanks for the reply. Actually I did follow the instructions and deleted the iRDS folder after import form asset store, and then imported iRDS UnityCar V1.09.1.3.3.unitypackage from the "Other Physics AI" folder. This procedure worked well with Edy's physics. Is it something different you have to do for UnityPro?

6. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi eddyjohnson3,

The car is instantiated as normal? if not check that the Selected Car on the LevelLoad object match one of the cars you have on the iRDS/Resources/Cars folder which is populated when you add the iRDS scripts to the UnityCar cars.

Let us know if this solves the issue,

Rhod,

7. eddyjohnson3

eddyjohnson3

The cars are being instantiated on the grid.

8. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi eddyjohnson3,

One question, did you started over on a new project? or you replaced the dlls on the existing project that was using the other version of iRDS? the unitycar iRDS package version needs to be imported in a fresh project.

Rhod,

9. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi eddyjohnson3,

If the issue persist, i suggest we do a remote desktop connection to see what you have there, also for a quicker support.

Rhod,

10. eddyjohnson3

eddyjohnson3

Hi Rhod,

So after some more playing around I realized that the sample cars from UnityCar Pro package are working fine and it is the basic UnityCar prefab and my custom cars that are based on that basic prefab are causing errors.

11. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi eddyjohnson3,

Glad you solved it, so the cars that have issues, have the IRDSCarControlerAI, IRDSNavigateToWaypoints, IRDSUnityCarAIController and IRDSPlayerStartRace on them?

Rhod,

12. eddyjohnson3

eddyjohnson3

Found the problem - it was necessary to add the Aerodynamics resistance script to the car. I should have paid more attention to the error report. :D

13. rhodnius

rhodnius

Great!

Let us know if you need anything else,

Rhod,

14. eddyjohnson3

eddyjohnson3

Hey Rhoda,

Ive got another question: I am having trouble getting custom control inputs to work. I am trying to to use the set control input methods like setSteerInput from IRDSCarControllInput class for the human car, but it seems that something else is overriding this with empty input values. Is there a setting I missed somewhere before I can do this?

15. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi eddyjohnson3,

Which version of iRDS are you using? Normal, Edys or UnityCar? Since there is some difference about it.

Rhod,

16. eddyjohnson3

eddyjohnson3

Im using the iRDS version.

17. rhodnius

rhodnius

In this case, you need to disable the IRDSPlayerControl script on the car.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Rhod,

18. alexfeature

alexfeature

Hey Rhod,

I got a couple of questions.

1. How can I make drivers more aggressive on the track? Particularly I would like to have them brake a lot harder and drift around corners. The idea is to have them be more Hollywood if you will.

2. I would also like the AI cars to step on the gas quite a bit more. They seem to be very conservative in that department.

3. Is it possible to have the cars burn rubber off the start line? I mean accelerate really hard likely causing some wheelspin.

I know this isn't what you would expect from a professional driver but I would like to give the races a bit of Fast and the Furious artmosphere. Right now it's like a Nascar race :D

Thanks for your time.

- Alex

19. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi alexfeature,

Here are some hints you can use to get it work as you want:

For this, you can setup the aggressiveness on brake on the AI drivers settings to a lower value (below 1), this way they would brake on corners a lot closer to them.

For this, you can setup to a higher value the cornering speed factor, also on the AI drivers settings, this would make the max speed on corners to be higher, usually a value over 1.5 would do that (take into account that too high values would make the AI not brake or slowdown at all on corners, making them too loose control).

Yes this can be done, by default they already hit the throttle to the max at the start line, they wont burn rubber, because of the Traction control values is setup to avoid this, so what you could do is disable the TCL or use a higher value for it on the cars.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Rhod,

20. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi Guys!

This is the new features status (this features are going to be included on the upcoming version release):

• Make some sounds array that could be played for X event. - Done
    • Add a Dynamic change on the aggressiveness of the AI drivers for making the corners depending on the player distance and their positions, so the AI could adjust to make the player feel more like racing with other human players and not feeling alone. - Done.
    • Add top speed engine limiter. - Done
    • Sub-tracks to exist inside the main track (shortcuts or just other ways to go through). - Done, integrated with cop mode!
    • Add selection of what to show for the final standings, and also the ability to add a background to it, make the position of the end standings be changeable - Done
    • Make the speed configurable for initial race preview - Done
    • Assign the player car its initial position manually if you want, instead of random. - Done
    • Make mini map as a line. - Done
    • Add option on leveload for enabling / disabling ESP TCS etc for the players. - Done
    • Police chasing mode - Done
    • CheckPoint based racing (Includes Speed Trap mode) -Done
    • Capture the flag -Done
    • Add names of driver on top of the cars -Done
    • Configurable field of view for the far and near exterior views -Done
    • Improved automatic gear shifting (now is speed dependent instead of rpm) -Done
    • enable disable backfire -Done
    • Camera Shake for drivers view(using configurable joint) -Done
    • Implemented a Camera not see through walls -Done
    • Add different particle for nitro as an option -Done
    • Make assigned drivers to have their independent settings if decided -Done
    • Last Man Standing/Knockout -Done The timer option would be available only for circuits without subtracks, you could use it anyway with subtracks, but with the risk that when a car enters a subtracks the wrong car could get disqualified, so is better not use it but on circuits only.
    • Added extra particles and shuriken support for smoke effects and other physics material dependent effects -Done
    • Added Bump factor for different physic materials to simulate uneven terrains, even if the mesh is flat the car would bump -Done
    • Added Sink factor for different physics materials, this would allow to simulate tire sinking, like when the tire is on sand for example -Done
    • Improved default tire smoke and added advanced tire smoke, when burning tire, the smoke surrounds the tire creating a better smoke effect-Done
    • Added physic materials to be previously added to the SkidMarks object, improving performance (now the detection of the physics materials wont be done by name and avoiding the use of strings) -Done
    • Added rolling resistance for each physic material to be setup, now you can setup a bigger rolling resistance for grass and sand, i.e. -Done
    • Add shake when rpm is lower than idle and when it is getting to the redline-Done
    • Rough idle RPM setting-Done
    • Big process data button on IRDSManager and Markers-Done
    • Editing Markers is faster now, the red line and yellow lines gets updated faster when editing them-Done
    • Create array for dropping the cars on the levelload Object (This would be very useful for using it with asset bundles, since you would be able to assign to the levelload object the cars you want to instantiate on the race)-Done
    • Trailer support (Now you would be able to use the rigger wizard to rig a trailer for use with truck)-Done
    • NEW ADDED STUFF

• NEW**** Added speed limit to be changeable, by adjusting the hill radius on the RaceLine waypoints, now you can put on any of those waypoints the maximum speed for the AI's and override the speed calulated by default by the system, this is useful for adjusting and tuning the max speed on corners that are more complex, like chicanes, or sharp turns.
    • NEW**** Also now the racing line in edit mode shows in color red the areas of slower speed and in green the areas of higher speeds.
    • NEW**** Added a visual gizmo to the selected racingline waypoints at the moment of editing the speed limits
    • NEW**** Added option to use the accelerometer settings for the touch steering
    • NEW**** Add new suspension system that can be used instead of the old one (is an option, you can choose to use the new or keep the old) This feature is experimental, and is intended to get some performance gain.
    • NEW**** Improved engine shake on the cars
    • NEW**** Added the ability to enable or disable independetly the On race standings and the end race standings.
    • NEW**** extra sounds keep playing if engine is off, added a bool to check engine on and off
    • NEW**** auto gear - downshift too late, fixed timming
    • NEW**** sound - there's no "play One shot" based on "GetButtonUp" - fixed, added playoneshot option
    • NEW**** Added new shifter gear buttons setups for the cars.
    • NEW**** Auto throttle now is independent of autoShifting, if you want to have auto shifting when auto throttle is enabled, you need to enable the Automatic Gear shifting feature.
    • NEW**** Added masterVolume variable to the class IRDSSoundController for easy mute all sounds.
    • NEW**** Added a new method on the class IRDSCarControllerAI for getting if the Car AI or with AutoThrottle on is stuck
    • NEW**** Added support for 2 wheeled and 3 wheeled vehicles
    • NEW**** Added propertyname of the shader used for the brake lights, so this way you can use your own brake light shader for the tail lights.
    • NEW**** Added a bool variable so you can choose to use the input controls from the car or levelload object, it is o Level Tab on levelload object and is named Use Car Inputs?
    • NEW**** Add a flag to make the player car unique per race
    • NEW**** Changed the new mobile controls to use GuiTextures instead of OnGUI with exactly the same functionality it had, so no difference would be noticed.
    • NEW**** Added 3 new variables to levelload object, 2 bools to activate the always respawn option, so the cars if get stuck would be respawned instead of unstuck, and a float to set the speed at which they get spawned.
    • NEW**** Added aditional custom buttons for mobile, you can set on them a target game object were a message would be sent, and the function it would send the message to, also a parameter (float, int, string, gameobject, vector2 3 and 4).
    • NEW**** Added copy function to suspensions settings
    • NEW**** Added new variable to the engine, so you can control the engine torque applied when cranking and reving up with a new multyplier. This is very handy when using cars that are very small like RC cars.
    • NEW**** Introduced 4 new variables to the tire physics models, now you can set the slip ratio and slip angle max clamp value, and also set the longitudinal and lateral forces multipliers, this are quite handy for arcade games, and also for fine tunning the behavior of the tires and the car.
    • NEW**** Also we exposed on the tire setup the variable wear, which is used to enable or disable if the tire wears with burns, this is in case you are using the car physics alone.
    • NEW**** Better obstacle avoidance and new obstacle Sensor, which is a box collider, which is added to the main car object automatically if there is any obstacle on the track (obstacles needs to have the IRDSCarControllerAI script on them and be on a different layer), for better getting it working, you would need to put only the main car object in a different layer for all cars and set this layer in Physics Manager to only recogninze as collision the layer asigned to the obstacles.
    • NEW**** Added a new variable for the look ahead distance, this is called LookAheadConst and it is on the driver settings, default value is 10, as it have been always, use smaller values for smaller vehicles, like RC cars.
    • NEW**** Added new variables for controlling the throttle when out of the tack (offTrackThrottleMultiplier) and when the AI have performed a jump (jumpThrottleMultiplier) and the time it would be applying the Jump Multiplier (jumpThrottleTime) all of them are in the AI Driver settings
    • NEW**** Added clear track data button on IRDSManager to easy clean all the IRDSManager data (does not have undo)
    • NEW**** Added 5 variables to the IRDSCarCamera class, Override Position, Override Rotation, Override LookAt, Override FieldOfView Override Camera Collision, this allow an easy way to manipulate the camera, and still having the benefits of using the IRDS HUD or find other way to customize the way the camera follows the player.
    • NEW**** Added some null checks on the IRDSCarDamage script, to avoid null referenfe exceptions to be thrown
    • NEW**** Added 1 variable to override the nitro input on IRDSPlayerControls Class, this is usefull when yo want to control the activation and deactivation of the nitro, to make games like Mario Kart.
    • NEW**** Added 1 variable to override the Nitro Input for the AI's on the Class IRDSCarControllerAI
    • NEW**** Added 2 variables on Levelload object to override the nitro input for AI and player independently
    • NEW**** Added a new default null physics material settings on the skidmarks object, this one is especially implemented for the new version of unity 4.3, since the terrain collider no longer contains the physics material on it, this way is possible to have the particle effects on the terrain for unity version 4.3x
    • NEW**** Added 2 new variables in the IRDSCarCamera class to allow more camera positions costumizations it is called distanceSides and sidesDamping, the first one is a vector 3 that sets the camera position with respect to the target and the second is the damping factor.
    • NEW**** Turn off engine from script, we made a method for killing the engine on the IRDSDrivetrain class, is called TurnOff()
    • NEW**** Made the player car to be still on the race starts - done

Bugs fixed:

Missing waypoint causing lap to not be counted
    Down shifting on manual gear with automatic clutch getting to weird high rpm fixed
    Fix camera far and near, so when the car is flipping it feels right
    Fixed bar tachometer
    Fixed touch steering sector size to be restricted to max value of 1
    Fixed minor bugs on IRDSManager process track data and on IRDSMarker process track data
    Fixed auto shifting not changing gears up on mobile control
    Fixed some errors thrown on newer version of Unity and in windows phone 8
    Fixed touch steering not working properly when using other buttons at same time.
    Fixed shifting for mobile going to fast if buttons keep pressed
    Minor performance improvement on AI
    Fixed Last man standing races not working if the track was loaded from another scene
    Fixed the IRDSStatistics class not updating the value correctly of the variable racePosition on the class IRDSCarControllerAI if the standings are disabled, causing also the lastman standing race mode to not work properly.
    Fixed the sandgrass setup on the skidmark object not been applied correctly.
    Fixed initialcounter object getting disabled when deactivating it and clicking on the button hide Gui
    Fixed a null reference exception if IRDSManager was selected on play mode if the initial counter was disabled
    Fixed disable and enable not been effective on play mode for the standings and the minimap.
    Fixed LabelOBject positiong
    Fixed Enabling minimap or standing on runtime (when it was disabled originally on IRDSManager) for causing some null reference errors
    Fixed some bugs on gear change for the gear shifter and on the clutch
    Fixed Waypoints advance bug. the waypoints when the car was going back, were resetting to 0.
    Fixed issue when placing the markers on the IRDSManager object
    Fixed on the car physics the brakes, now the car does brake, this could affect how the AI would take turns now, and they should be able to brake now on shorter distances.
    Fixed the new GUITextures position changed if the level is restarted and only on levelload object is used on the entire project.
    Fixed camera preview mode not working properly
    Fixed for the player to force brake at the beginning of the race before the race starts, to avoid the car for moving forward or backward on non flat surfaces.
    Fixed the bumps factor not affecting on the new suspension system

Rhod, :cool:

21. alexfeature

alexfeature

Hey Rhod,

Thanks for the answers.

PS: New features list is way too short :)

22. rhodnius

rhodnius

hehehe, it was to show up on what we were working at :)

Rhod,

23. Shigidy

Shigidy

I really need to get with the program I've been slacking on my game. Man that feature list is impressive. :)

24. Dok101

Dok101

Hi
    I recently just bought IRDS and it looks great.
    However for some reason in the Level Load - Player - Selected Car Name when I put in the car prefabs name letter for letter it doesnt work.
    I just get the error "ArgumentException: The prefab you want to instantiate is null.
    UnityEngine.Object.CheckNullArgument (System.Object arg, System.String message)
    UnityEngine.Object.Instantiate (UnityEngine.Object original, Vector3 position, Quaternion rotation)
    IRDSPlaceCars.Awake ()"
    I have a car prefab with the exact letters entered into the Selected Car Name and also when I retype GMC Colt in it doesnt work even though it work before. This is even though I typed it in the exact same. Im pretty sure its nothing to do with my spelling because I copied it from the prefabs name.
    The IRDS looks really fantastic and I cant wait to get developing soon.
    Yours Sincerely

25. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi Dok101,

Thanks for your purchase,

Please kindly contact me on a PM or email (josegarrido@dagagames.com) with your invoice number and we would get back to you asap with support.

Rhod,

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  26. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi Dok101,

Just wanted to post here the solution for your case, that we already solved by email, for using any new car or existing one's, the prefabs must be placed on the /Resources/Cars folder so the system can find them and instantiate the cars.

Rhod,

27. eddyjohnson3

eddyjohnson3

Hey Rhod,

I was wondering if there is any proper way I could set up the system for a rolling start. I do see the EnableSpeedRestriction function, but is there any way I could keep the racers nicely lined up (side by side) while the race is under yellow?

28. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi eddyjohnson3,

If you have enabled 3 wide style race, they should keep their positions while in yellow, try using this option and let us know.

Rhod,

29. derkoi

derkoi

Hi Rhod,

I've started playing around with the build in car physics instead of Edy's or Unitycar.

It seems my cars are top heavy no matter how low i position the COG, is there anything else i can adjust please?

30. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi derkoi,

Sure, check on the antiroll bars settings, make then bigger on their value, if the car mass is about 1200 to 1500 (more or less the standard mass for a car) set the antiroll bars to 5000 - 8000, and that would make them not roll to easily.

Let me know if this solves it.

Rhod,

31. derkoi

derkoi

Thanks, i tried that but it seems it's not so much the actual car rolling as the pivot is off or something, here's a video...

32. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi derkoi,

That is a known bug on the camera, we have already solved on the Beta version, so you can participate on the Beta program to get the fix.

PD: we have included you on the Beta repository.

Rhod,

33. eddyjohnson3

eddyjohnson3

Hey Rhod,

I have a question about driver stats. Basically what I need is a simple list of race results after the race, similar to what iRDS system provides by default but excluding the car name. Also I would like to save the race result, so It would be great if I could somehow get the race result data and sort it. I see that there is the IRDSStatistics.GetAllDrivers() method, but how do I sort the array. Can I use the GetPosition number for that?

34. eddyjohnson3

eddyjohnson3

So after some testing it seems that IRDSStatistics.GetAllDrivers() result is already sorted according to race/finish positions. Is that correct?

35. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi eddyjohnson3,

Sorry for the late reply,

And yes, the returned array is already sorted, you can also use the variable racePosition on each instance of the class IRDSCarControllerAI of each car, that returns the position of the car on the race.

Rhod,

36. Martin_Master

Martin_Master

Can you give a apk which can be played in the Android ?
    whatever thank a lot .

37. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi Martin_Master,

Thanks for your interest in iRDS, you can find it in our iRDS/Downloads section in our webpage www.dagagames.com

Rhod,

38. eddyjohnson3

eddyjohnson3

Hi Rhod,

Yet another question: Is it possible to manually set the starting position of the player or is it always random?

39. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi eddyjohnson3,

It would be possible on the next update.

Rhod,

40. Martin_Master

Martin_Master

thank . I have found the apk which you said..
    But ,I can't control the car .. Can you give a apk which can control the car.

41. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi Martin_Master,

We would make it and upload it in our web page this week.

Rhod,

42. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hello Guys,

We are getting really close to the next update version 1.10 release.

Some of the latest features that are going to be included on the 1.10 version that is upcoming are:

• New suspension system, now simulating MacPherson Strut based suspension and Double A arms (aka Double wishbone) suspensions.
    • Camber angle for those new suspensions are calculated from the real angle that the tire have with respect to the surface.

We hope you enjoy it as much as we enjoy creating them!

Rhod,

43. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi Martin_Master,

We have just added the android demo in our webpage which you can control the car.

Rhod,

44. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi Guys,

Here is a video of the new suspension system:

Rhod,

45. derkoi

derkoi

Hi Rhod, the new suspension system's looking great.

Just a quick feature request. I wonder if it would be possible to add support for Track BuildR tracks like you have for Easy Roads? That would be a great time saver :)

46. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi derkoi,

We bought track BuildR recently, so we are going to check that out.

Rhod,

47. rhodnius

rhodnius

Hi Guys,

We have been thinking about merging all iRDS version into one single version, this way you would have the ability to use iRDS with any of the three Car physics (Edys, UnityCar or iRDS own physics) in the same package, and off course you could also use it with other car physics that uses the same inputs (steer -1 to 1, throttle 0 to 1, brake 0 to 1), also this way the maintenance of the system would be a lot more easy and the features would be even for all the car physics (all the features that are not related with the iRDS own car physics).

The cons, is that there would be no update option for the already released Edys and UnityCar iRDS, since this would be the full version with some mods to support directly those other two Car Physics, but you could do a swap that shouldn't take that long, since you could use the Markers from your already setup tracks and load them up on the new version as if they were the Easy roads markers. Also all the settings on the Levelload objects wont be affected (the settings on iRDSManager would have to be put manually).

So, what you think about this? comments are welcome.

Rhod, :cool:

48. Shigidy

Shigidy

I love that idea

49. radimoto

radimoto

Agreed, great idea Rhod

50. Martin_Master

Martin_Master

I have bought it today..
    id:NurSie

However when I press the button "Open in unity "